Wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wewt my first post =D

My family is looking into getting a wireless network for our computers, except that I don't know much about wireless. One thing I hear is that people outside of your home could tap into your network/internet connection if you used a wireless router, is that true? Also I am wondering, what is the average distance that a wireless router can reach?

As far as the distance thing goes, 802.11a goes up to 160 feet. 802.11b goes up to 800 feet. 802.11a runs at 5.4ghz and is very expensive. 802.11b is what you see in stores and runs at 2.4ghz. It is priced very good. You may want to go that way.People can tap into your connection if they are smart enough to hack they're way in. I wouldnt worry to much about that.
Check out this thread:

http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=936

Welcome to 3DSpotlight by the way..

:wave: Newcomer Welcome & Hello :wave:
Here's some tips for a more pleasurable 3DS experience.

Please Read FAQ's so you have an idea of how the Forum operates.

* Be mindful of our International Membership; use proper English & Grammar.
* Women & Children frequent the boards, watch your language! (TOS is strictly enforced)
* Please Post in the Correct Forum, do not double post.
* Please use a specific question on the Subject Line.
* This will archive your subject for later searches/retrieval
* Subject lines like "Help me" or "I have a question" & other pleas of desperation are not useful in a help forum.
* Learn to use the Search Feature extensively to answer questions, for the following reasons:
* 1.) Redundant Topics: most popular subjects are currently being discussed, or similar questions have been answered.
* 2.) Links: we might forget a good link that was previously mentioned in answering your question.

Please read the 3Ds homepage www.3dspotlight.com & please visit our sponsors.
Feel free to quote the articles, guides, reviews & links.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back