Wireless networking query

Hi - I'm new here but looking for some guidance. I have been grappling with this issue for a while without success.

I have effectively two home networks. Downstairs I have a broadband line in to a wireless router, which is accessed by various portable devices, games consoles and has two LAN ports which are occupied by an NAS and a link to my cable TV box (required). Upstairs I have three PCs networked together on a wired network. For historic reasons (I used the default IP addresses assigned by the wired router, which are different from the IP address range assigned by the broadband wireless router) I have to disable the LAN connection and plug in a USB wifi dongle if I want any of the upstairs machines to go online.

I am trying to integrate the two networks without having to run a cable between the two routers (for various domestic reasons it is difficult, plus I would have to get a separate switch to be able to accommodate the storage/TV box currently required to be plugged in downstairs). I have a wireless router which says it can be used as an access point and have swapped that in for the upstairs router, disabling the DHCP server and setting it as an access point. But it still will not connect to the downstairs router.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I might be doing wrong, alternative approaches, or somewhere to look for more detailed information on the subject?

Many thanks!

Look for an EoP adaptor like this. One attaches to the broadband end via a RJ45 cable and the other end is upstairs and goes into that router in a LAN slot (not the Wan uplink).
I have a long ranch style home and the signal would have to traverse several walls to get to the other end of the home. The Netgear provides high speed and reliability to the entertainment room for me.

Back