Wireless Networking within home...help!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have recently (as in yesterday!) gotten connected to DSL. I only have a laptop, and would like to be able to use a wireless internet connection with my laptop. My laptop is already wireless capable, but I don't have a clue as to what else I need to buy to be able to use my laptop away from my desk. I am worried that I am making this harder than it is, and am going to totally look incompetent!
Do I just need to purchase a wireless router--then hook my DSL up to it? Will my laptop then just recognize the internet connection? :blush: Or is that way too simple?

well simply put your first step is of course purchase a wireless router... preferrably one that says somethign like wireless access point.. or has cable/dsl router in the line, because they are geared toward easy setup for home networks using cable/dsl.

another question is do you have to use a id/password to login if so you have a PP0E or point to point over ethernet... and you will have some configuring to do on your router.

otherwise if you dont it should be prettymuch plug go.... but NOTE.. it will not be secure out of the box.......

you will want to enable WEP at the very least..... and you would have to interact with the router console to do that... and ususally you can do something like http://192.168.1.1 in a browser to access your router config....

get your wireless dsl/cable router and we can help ya with the ins and outs... also NOTE make sure your wireless dsl/cable router uses the same wireless protocol 802.11a or 802.11b or 802.11 g... depending on your laptop.

hope that helps more than confuses...

Dont worry its very simple to set it up. If your DSL modem does not have built in wireless router, just buy one and that's it. Hook it up to your DSL and your computer's to your router. About wireless each router has its ID called SSID and that's what you look for when you try to connect your laptop to your wireless router. You can always call tech support to help you set it up.

There are some other security issues that you should consider but at this stage this is enough to get it running....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back