wireless networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
my partner has bought a linksys wireless -g notebook adapter so that I can access broadband. but I find there is nowhere to put it! I have an Advent 7012. please could you tell me what other adapters I would need to sort this problem out.
regards, Lis

nowhere to put it? Is this a PCMCIA card(PC card) ? If it is, it will be a rectangular flat card, it fits into a PCMCIA slot, usually located on either the right or left side of the system and the slots may have filler cards in them(this is a plastic dummy card to fill the slot to keep dust and trash out when not being used)

Also, as YnW stated, you'll need a wireless g router/access point. I'd recommend getting the same brand as your card to avoid any conflicts with drivers or firmware. It will also help if you ever need to contact the manufacturer for warranty or other questions. If you have several different manufacturers' equipment, each one will tell you to call the other guy.

Most USB adapters are not designed to be used for laptops because the USB ports on most laptops deliver less power than on desktops, and wireless adapters suck a lot of power, especially 802.11g.
Many people do use these, especially older b adapters in usb2.0 ports because it delivers enough power to support b, the problem is that it will drain the battery really fast. Looks like your only option is a mini-pci(if you have a mini-pci slot) or the docking station as Nodsu suggested

Hi All

My Dad has one of these laptops and has updgraded the memory. He also wants to put in a Mini PCI wireless card - the only problem with this is that there is a rubber block near to the slot that prevents the card from being pushed down and locked into place.

laptop.jpg

Any ideas?

Cheers

Si

Hi
mine had 1 of them (HAD) it just a space block on mine all i did was remove battery first obviously then warm with hairdryer and peal it of very slowly :angel:

Wayne

O by the Way hope you realize aswell as card to need antenna aswell
or you will have bad signal on mine till i got a antenna I used 2 wires 1 on each pin 1 receive and other 1 is transmit ran them around my lapy and taped ends with tape so they couldnt touch anything
but then i found a guy on ebay sells cheap and he sells them all the time
so mine got a real one on now :angel:
Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back