TechSpot

Wireless PCI adapter card problems

By tangoromeo1
Jun 2, 2007
  1. Hi all- I hope all here are well. Very informative forum. I'm a wireless newbie, & I know enough to be dangerous! ;-)

I'm running Win2000 Pro. I bought an inexpensive Trendnet TEW-443PI wireless PCI adapter card last week. It installed fine & worked great with zero problems for several days. I went away for a few days & now I can't get any internet data transfer. When I start an internet app, the modem starts dialing instead of connecting thru the wireless card. The computer was on while I was away, but no one had access to it. The wireless card was off, & I was D/Ling with the modem & D/L mgr unattended while I was away.
    The access point is unsecured, and the adapter card's config utility shows a good quality connection and high signal strength.
    I have rooted around in numerous forums, followed tips from the Trendnet site, and played with the Win2000 network settings.No joy.

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : TBC
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 108Mbps High Speed Wireless Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-E7-1B-47-99
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.168.233
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

I see some problems with missing entries & features disabled, but do not know where to get the IP information or change the settings to enable the required features to correct the problem.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I really got spoiled for the few days I had the use of the high speed connection.

Take care all,

TR

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 8,946   +586

first, use the Device Manager to disable the modem; stops the dialingout.

you say it worked ... you have your OWN wireless router?

the ip-address 169.254.168.233 says your adaptor did not find the router and
    could NOT make a DHCP request to it.

disable your wireless adaptor,
    restart your router; pull the power plug, wait 30 sec and then plug it back in.
    wait one minute and then enable your wireless adaptor.

use run->cmd /k ipconfig /all to monitor the results.

if that doesn't work, the next step is to RESET the router and start again
    at disable your wireless

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.