Wireless: Reciving no packets, can send. Works with other comps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've set up my fair share of wireless networks, over 50 at least, however this one has stumped me.

I'm setting up a wireless network in a freinds house, she has a 3Com Hub, and a Belkin F5D7000 (802.11g/b), and i also have this card on my CarPC, the other computer involved is a tentant at the house (i have not spoken to him, however his connection is working fine.)

The problem is:
On this one computer (Windows XP) the card finds the network, and 'Connects' when i put the WEP key in, however, it isnt getting an IP address from the DHCP server (the router), and isnt reciving any packets (that computer cannot ping any others, nor the router).
edit: I have tried entering a Manual IP, Subnet etc. but still not recv packets.

I can connect using my CarPC with the same card, so its not the card, or the router, therefore it must be the computer configuration.

I have disabled the firewall etc, i see no reason why it should not recive any packets! I even reset the router to make sure her MAC address was not in the 'disallow connections' section.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I would really appreciate any input.
Cheers!

Anymore questions, please ask!
Edit/Delete Message

What kind of system is failing (desktop,laptop) and have you checked the obvious?
device manager; does it show up, have conflicts or any icons on the specific device?
if a laptop, there's ususally a slide switch to power on/off in addition to the
software enable/disable.

It is a desktop.

It is a PCI Belkin F5D7000 802.11g/b card, it 'sees' the network no problem, compains when I give the wrong WEP key, 'Connects' when i enter the correct key, however does not get assiged an IP address by the DHCP, and in the Network Connections box it says Packets Recived: 0

If i give it a manual IP it still recives 0 packets.

It is not the physical card, as I have tested it in another machine and it works fine.

Device appears in device manager, and the Drivers etc are fully installed, there are no other wireless devices on the system.

Set the router to use G only and then set the PCI card to do likewise.

are you sure that will fix it? its an hours drive over there you see, i have the computer back at home to format, would like to avoid formatting if it could be solved by that.

the card should be able to pick up G and B signals, as i said, the same physical card works in a different machine.

thank you for your help!

konnichiwa said:
are you sure that will fix it? its an hours drive over there you see, i have the computer back at home to format, would like to avoid formatting if it could be solved by that.

the card should be able to pick up G and B signals, as i said, the same physical card works in a different machine.
Yes the card SHOULD work on both, but sometimes things just don't work they way they should - - do they!

I can't guarantee this or any other fix; don't think anyone else can either.
Debugging systems is a process of elimination of things to verify for a given set
of symptoms. Your problem here is weird but certainly confined to your PC and
its configuration.

I would resist reformatting and reinstalling; it seldomly leads to solving the
original symptom and often leads to a rash of other issues to be solved :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back