Wireless router and PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mica3speedy

I currently have an old D-link 54mb/s setup for connecting my laptop and the ps3 wirelessly. I've been trying to copy video to the ps3 and it takes forever. Streaming isn't even an option. Now I'm trying to decide on getting either a g+ router, or an N router. The g+ router is 108mb/s, while the N router is 300mb/s. While N would be ideal, I'm not sure if the ps3 would fully utilize it. So would I be better off getting the G+ or the N?

You are in a similar situation as me, I have to upgrade my router for gaming purposes but drop the idea of the N router because I have no devices that will take advange of it, so I think I'll be getting a G+ with MIMO, so if you have a PS3 and a Laptop which are 802.11g and you don't plan to expend your wireless network I think you are better with the G+, they are also cheaper

I was thinking that as well. I'm looking to see if the ps3 will transfer at faster than the 108, and by how much. If the ps3 could transfer at 200mb/s I could see getting the N to utilize that instead of being limited to 108mb/s.

The Playstation 3 supports 802.11B/G so unless they can update the integrated WiFi module's firmware to support 802.11N, it will not support anything faster than 802.11G.

802.11G+ sounds like a proprietary version of the 802.11G protocol to me, a bit like the Linksys Speedbooster technology & as such will only work with devices specifically supporting it.

I would believe so unless the WiFi hardware on the PS3 can support 802.11N but is temporarily disabled until the standard becomes official. Maybe in the future Sony will release a new Playstation with faster wireless connectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back