Wireless Router Conflicting Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Netgear Wireless Router (Model WPN824v2) has been running fine and until now has had no problems with the ports I'm running on it.
However, I just recently erased my ports in a effort to make them more efficient, and now I'm having some conflict issues.

I have one set of ports set to my X-box 360 system and it has since improved. Now I'm working to get another system running on the router wirelessly. However, this system takes more ports, about 7 as it were. 6 TCP and 1 UDP. The 2 sets of ports are different IP's and I haven't had any problems until I went to make the UDP completely open (1-65534). The other ports are specific, but when I go to make the UDP open is says there is a conflict.

Any fixes?

BrawlFan said:
However, this system takes more ports, about 7 as it were. 6 TCP and 1 UDP. The 2 sets of ports are different IP's and I haven't had any problems until I went to make the UDP completely open (1-65534). The other ports are specific, but when I go to make the UDP open is says there is a conflict.

Any fixes?
bad idea to open all udp ports and that span creates the conflict.

If you need open ports, you open ONLY the ports documented by the Application
and that should be specific as to being tcp or udp.

Hmmm...
It has been frequently stated as having both, but I've got the others without the UDP so I'll leave it be I suppose.

yes, that happens; eg Print/File sharing use 139 udp and 445 tcp and still other
might use xxx tcp+udp

the point is not which protocol but opening ONLY required port numbers :)

jobeard said:
yes, that happens; eg Print/File sharing use 139 udp and 445 tcp and still other
might use xxx tcp+udp

the point is not which protocol but opening ONLY required port numbers :)

Well, I did a little research an apparently the outgoing UDP is picked randomly each time the service is used...
Which would need me to open all ports...

Any other suggestions? D:

Outgoing UDP is just fine. You do not necessarily need inbound port forwarding,
depending upon how the code was written. Normally opening the outbound port
then allows a reply on the same port and thus no unsolicited inbound traffic occurs.

Any software that would require all upd ports to be open is bogus and creates an
environment that invites securing issues. Might as well disable the firewall and
uninstall your A/V programs -- you're in deep water here!

Hope you only use the system for games and keep no personal data on the HD.

Outgoing UDP is just fine. You do not necessarily need inbound port forwarding,
depending upon how the code was written. Normally opening the outbound port
then allows a reply on the same port and thus no unsolicited inbound traffic occurs.

Any software that would require all upd ports to be open is bogus and creates an
environment that invites securing issues. Might as well disable the firewall and
uninstall your A/V programs -- you're in deep water here!

Hope you only use the system for games and keep no personal data on the HD.
As the case would have it, its a Wii that needs some assistance in the Wi-Fi department.
Really though, there are a few other methods I'm going to try and not mess with the security issues for now.

Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back