Wireless Router for Bed Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
My room, and personal computer, is in the farthest corner of the house away from the "family" computer. We have a wireless router (2wire) with it. I have pondered running a phone cord from my room across the attic to my room, but severe allergies and my psychological hard-on for electronics have made me decide to get a router instead for my room. Here in lies some problems problems.

1. I don't know if I get any reception in my room from the router we have. I don't have a laptop, and the closest thing I have to check it is my DS, and the farthest I can get it to respond is in the room next to the computer room.

2. If I buy a router, it would need to be strong. I am going through 5-6 walls over a large distance. Think of a normal trailer in a trailer park length

In your situation, I would get a friend to run a network cable, not a phone line from the home 2wire router to your room, though the attic. 5 or 6 walls may make it tough to get reception/connectivity

You do not want to buy a router.

A solution would be an access point acting as a wireless extender (or wired to the router) about halfway between (or at any point where you still get decent reception) your room and the router.

The DS is not very good device for wireless reception testing. The antenna orientation is important for both the router and the would-be AP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back