TechSpot

wireless router problem....or not

By dreux456
Dec 28, 2005
  1. I have a linksys wireless router with 2 dell units accessing it; one is a desktop, the pother a laptop. the desktop keeps getting kicked out, not sure why. I used to reboot the router and that seemed to solve the problem with the desktop but I noticed that the laptop worked fine at the same time, which leads me to beleive that the problem is with the desktop. the next question is, what exactly is the problem if it is the desktop? I'll "clean" the hardrive if necessary, but that leads to the second question: what software is good for that purpose? any recommendations? thanks in advance!

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

"kicked out" means what? Your router grows a leg and kicks the network cable out of the port?

3. dreux456

dreux456 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

kicked out...........

means that the desktop isn't accessing the internet anymore. I get the message "cannot find server" or "page has expired". any ideas why?

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,462   +229

Maybe there's a problem with the wireless adapter.

5. beerabuser30

beerabuser30 TS Enthusiast Posts: 294

Is the desktop connected using wires? If it is I would check the connetions. I would also run the laptop side by side and see if they get booted at the same time then it is a router or connection problem. Just trying to narrow it down.

6. SultanGris

SultanGris TS Rookie Posts: 207

do you have a cordless phone, or any other device that operates on a 2.4 ghz frequency?

has it always happend? or just started? install anything new right before it started happening?

how far away from transmitter is it?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.