Wireless Vista? problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

Hope this is the right place for this.

I had a Drayteck Vigor wireless router worked fine for 3 years, I thought it was faulty and replaced it. It turned out that it was a totally unconnected telecom fault.
So. I signed my dad up for broadband, took it around set it up and connected to the ethernet caple it works a treat.(XPsp2 desktop)

Unfortunately, he got my mum a shiny new Asus laptop with Vista and it cannot connect wirelessly.
PC says good signal and connected to internet but when I click on a link it is not connected.
I get excellent signal strength and the router can see the MAC address of the Laptop.
Is it a security setting in Vista that I have not found? I just find the settings in Vista too hard to track down.

I had the laptop working fine with its dial up modem.

The laptop did not connect either using a lan cable direct to the router

Just a bit baffled! (plus mum is annoyed)

Windows Vista is an unproven OS with many driver issues. A lot of peripherals will not work with vista. I suggest trying XP.

Have you tried Vista's help files? I found them to be considerably better than the ones in XP. They often have clickable spots which open up exactly what you need, which is a timesaver compared to going through all the renamed and repositioned settings in Vista.

Thanks, I had been following the help but just chasing myself around in circles. If only she would let me wipe her system and put XP on it.

I was hoping it was a siple change this setting and there you go.

Going to try another laptop that has vista and works on my router and then the other way round before I get har a new router.

Thanks anyway

Well update for any future readers;

Tried with another vista laptop, same problem.

The router was just not Vista friendly. New router solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back