TechSpot

wireless/wired question

By RSch110856
May 31, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a DI-514 D-Link wireless router. I have a desktop wired to it and trying to get my laptop hooked up wireless-ly to it. Currently the wired works fine to the desktop and to the laptop. The router status shows that it is sending packets wirelessly and the DWL-650m adapter status shows it is sending packets. The problem is neither are listening to the other. Is there a method to test either? My OS on both is WINXP pro.
    Thanks,Rich
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Can you get on the internet with the laptop, but you can't browse shared files on each computer? Did you try browsing by the ip address of each computer? \\192.168.0.xxx intead of your computer name like \\Laptop?

BTW
    :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:
  3. Filard

Filard TS Rookie

Do you have a firewall? If so, what kind?
  4. RSch110856

RSch110856 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I can get to the internet with the laptop through the wired connection with the DI-514. I can't get a connection between teh DI-514 and the laptop. I downloaded a utility called "network stumbler" and it doesn't detect any access points either. It seems like the DI-514 is sending packets wireless-ly and the DWL-650M is sending packets wireless-ly but both are not listening to the other one. I can't figure this out. I know it is not rocket science.

No fire wall.

Thanks for the replies guys, still stumped.

Rich
  5. tdeg

tdeg TS Rookie Posts: 348

Do you have WEP or WPA turned on on the router?
  6. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Did you set the router to broadcast the SSID? How do you know the router is sending out wireless signal?
  7. RSch110856

I have tried WEP enabled and disabled.

The traffic status shows that 0 packets have been received and 'x' (number greater then 0) packets transmited on the wireless side. Under Status/Stats.

Thanks,
  8. Filard

Filard TS Rookie

Is the access point set for Ad-Hoc? If so, you won't get internet. Ad-hoc is for a peer to peer network.
  9. RSch110856

we have the access point set to 'infrastructure'.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.