TechSpot

Wirelessly connected computers can surf, but can't download

By Nickmare
Jan 1, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm currently running a Linksys 2.4GHz router, model BEFW11S4. I have one wired computer currently plugged into the router, as well as two computers connected wirelessly (desktop and a laptop).

The wired computer -> works perfectly. It is set as DMZ Host right now, because it is used 100% for gaming.

The wireless computers -> Both can surf the web fine, but whenever I try to download a file from Internet Explorer it makes it part way through the download and gives me the message "Connection to the server was reset".

It happens to my laptop even when right next to the router, so I don't think it is interference, or distance issues. I don't have problems when transfering files from one computer to another either, just downloading files from the net.

I had a similar layout in my last home without any sort of problem. Here are some of my router settings:

Firmware: 1.45.10
    Wireless: Enable
    SSID Broadcast: Enable
    Channel: 11
    WEP: Disable
    WAN Connection Type: Obtain an IP Automatically
    DHCP Server: Disable
    Block WAN Request: Enable
    Multicast Pass Through, IPSec Pass Through, and PPTP Pass Through: Enable
    Remote Management: Disable
    MTU: Disable
    Filter Internet NAT Redirection: Disable
    Working Mode: Gateway
    --Wireless Settings--
    Firmware: 1.1.2
    Beacon Interval: 100
    RTS Threshold: 1536
    Fragmentation Threshold: 2304
    DTIM Interval: 1
    Basic Rates: 1-2-5.5-11 Mbps
    TX Rates: 1-2-5.5-11 Mbps
    Preamble Type: Long
    Authentication Type: Both
    Antenna Selection: Default
    Station MAC Filter: Enable

My NIC cards are set to match all fields that apply to a NIC card. Laptop only let's my change the channel though, which is set to 11, of course.

Earlier I was trying to fiddle with MTU. I don't know much about it though, and if I'm not using PPPoE does it affect anything? I asked customer support at Linksys earlier about my downloading problem, and they just told me to change MTU to 1400 (even though I heard 1454 and 1492 were better #s to try) as well as to change my Fragmentation Threshold to 2304, which I had already done beforehand. Either way, nothing I did seemed to work.

Greatly appreciate any help :D
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

try enabling the router as a DHCP server. i don't believe you need to use a DMZ. i don't on my router and everyone on my network can still game via internet, as well as transfer files with remote servers.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.