Wiring Question / Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a monitor screen that came from a Panasonic Toughbook CF-48 (laptop computer). The screen works fine, but I want to find a way to connect this monitor to a standard cpu monitor in cable... if possible. I imagine this will require some soldering, just not sure where to begin or what else I need. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help

Gene

doesn't sound likely. the screen's controlling electronics are probably somewhere in the laptop's main pcb anyways. plus, i doubt said components are electrically compatible with a standard 15-pin dsub connector anyways. do you or does anyone helping you have skills in electrical engineering? do you have any of the tools and schematic diagrams?

Zephead,

I was worried about that. I have written an e-mail to the company that makes the screen, but they are a Japan based company, do I don't expect to get much from them but I did ask for a wiring diagram / schematic.

I was hoping I could use the monitor out plug on the back of the laptop (since this does connect to a standard monitor cable) and find out how/where the wires are connected inside and some how make that connection outside of the old laptop shell. I know it's a long shot, but I'm sure I could make something pretty cool with that ultra thin screen...

Thanks for taking the time to answer and give input. If anyone else has any thoughts, please feel free to comment..

Gene

the monitor out from the back of the unit is a secondary line out from the video card, seperated from the monitor. besides, it's a monitor-out, and you want an in for your dignal.

Zep,

Gotcha. Thanks for your help. Well I'll keep looking for another idea. If anyone needs a replacement screen for a tough book, let me know.

Gene

Hey there Zoroman,

Took me a while to get back to you, guess I need to check my e-mail more often. If by red tint you mean, does the screen have a "red" color to it, no. When I took the screen out there was nothing wrong with it. The only reason I removed it was for one, I had mounted a 19" flat screen monitor to the work bench in my garage and connected my extra CF-48 to it and was no longer useing the screen on the 48, and 2, I thought it would be cool to build another computer useing that flat screen from the 48. Here is a link to a picture of the same screen I have ( http://cgi.ebay.com/14-1-Panasonic-...ryZ31569QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ) The only difference is that I have removed the screen from the plastic casing, so there is only the screen with the two sets of wires on it. Still works fine. Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back