Wish to upgrade

I have a dell dimension 2400 and wish to upgrade the CPU and ram, and I was wondering what is the best CPU and ram this motherboard can handle. Thanks.

Holy Cow, I had one of those machines with a P4, 1 gb of ram, and a Geforce 5500. Honestly, you dont have many options for upgrading at this point, that machine is getting on in age. Let me see what can be upgraded as I had trouble in the past upgrading, but your going to be stuck to a better P4 at most.

Hi Phillip - Welcome to TechSpot. :)

Here is a user manual - Dell™ Dimension™ 2400 Series

What are your system specifications at the moment?
Has anyone already upgraded the machine previously?

Your best bet would be to save your money for a newer machine. Anything spent on a machine as old as a Dell Dimension 2400, in my opinion would be a waste.

I agree with the guys above. There really isn't a point in upgrading a system that dated, and it wouldn't cost much to build a newer and much more powerful system from scratch.

Holy Cow, I had one of those machines with a P4, 1 gb of ram, and a Geforce 5500. Honestly, you dont have many options for upgrading at this point, that machine is getting on in age. Let me see what can be upgraded as I had trouble in the past upgrading, but your going to be stuck to a better P4 at most.

It seems like his machine has a Celeron.

The Dimension 2400 can use either 400MHz or 533MHz, Socket 478, P-4 processors with a 512k or smaller cache. So the Pentium 4 Processor supporting HT Technology 3.06 GHz (512K cache / 533 MHz FSB) is the largest CPU you could put into the computer.
Taking a look at prices (if you are really insistent on upgrading and not going new build), you could upgrade but you would be either spending way too much (Around $100) for a CPU that hasn't been used or buying a used CPU (which is not advisable). The max RAM for the is 2GB. You can find good deals on RAM - so the cost shouldn't be that much for the RAM upgrade.
We still need to find out what you currently have in your system (system specs), so that we can help you with options.
I would build a new rig, instead of trying to upgrade. You may spend more money now with building a new rig versus upgrading, but you will have a much better (and more up-to-date) system.

I would not really upgrade this kind of system anymore. I would really think about a completly new one. I think any money put on that is just wasted

Back