TechSpot

With new devices inbound, Windows Phone 8.1 hits RTM status

By Scorpus
Mar 30, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. In the coming week at BUILD in San Francisco, Microsoft is set to officially take the wraps off Windows Phone 8.1, which the company has been working on for some time. The major update to Windows Phone 8 has been...

Read more

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Windows Phone 8.1 sure does have some nice improvements. Really excited to see how it works out.

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,513   +2,056

And here I am still waiting for a Kit Kat upgrade, when that comes is anyone's guess.

misor and TheLastPanda like this.
  4. TheLastPanda

TheLastPanda TS Member Posts: 78   +10

I know how you feel. My cell is a year old and already feels abandoned. Rooting is always an option though.

misor likes this.
  5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,155   +1,431

This is a significant milestone for the OS. Although I'm not using a Windows phone, not yet anyway, many of my friends are, and have been quite happy with those.

One thing reassuring is when MS says it hits RTM it is really ready, not just on paper, like with Blackberry, uBuntu or any other LameOS. They do pay good attention to detail, such as security, performance, usability and cross-device compatibility.

It is also the only mobile OS that actually uses 100% of the hardware on which it is installed, not some BS 8-core that's underused 99% of the time.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    Archean and spectrenad like this.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Nah. I'll just wait.

7. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Guru Posts: 530   +37

Don't feel anxious. HTC upgraded us (HTC One) to KitKat a few weeks back and it honestly feels like a botched and rushed job. I exaggerate to you in no way when I say I have hard reset and wipe partitioned my phone 15+. I kept getting random bugs that were not around in 4.3. This includes having terrible battery compared to before. This seems to be a bug with KitKat in general though as many people are complaining about it.

8. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Addict Posts: 293   +69

I guess not receiving KitKat is a good thing. I had an Android phone (Samsung) and tablet (Lenovo). Both were abandoned by the manufacturers only months after my purchases as far as software updates go. I since then jumped ship to Nokia 920 and never looked back. It even comes with MS Office and it does not slow down after a few updates, unlike my Android devices. I really don't see why WP won't gain market share the way things go.

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Only months? You can count yourself lucky.
    It worked the other way around for me, I ditched my Win 8 Nokia 625 for a Galaxy S4 Mini and I've never looked back. I'm not overly fussed about Kit Kat, JB works just fine, I was just remarking.