Wobbly boot after graphic card change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

I'm having a problem with my new leadtek 6800gt 256mb 8x. After taking out my older ti4200, uninstalling drivers as is normally instructed, and replacing it with the formentioned GT this is the seqence my computer now takes: My computer spins into action as usual; the GT shows me its loading screen, windows xp loading screen comes on, then blank screen! The sound from my computer is telling me it's going through the motions of loading up but with no evidence on my screen (no sound either telling me new hardware found).

Now, I'm hoping it is just a wrong installation, as I have googled this problem, and I have read about conflicts and such. However, what concerns me is this card now takes a molex connector to work. I have a 650watt psu, which consistes of, apart from motherboard connections, 6 molex connectors split into 2 pairs of three. I know this is enough to run the card. I've tried each one of the sets on my card, as part of a series or exclusively on its own, but to no avail.

What worries me more is, when the XP loading screen appears, it wobbles. I cannot describe it anymore other than that. It wobbles, shimmers even. I though it maybe electrical interference and stripped my wall sockets and plugs to there minimums but still the same problem. Putting my old card back in and its perfect. Curiously, when the page showing my irq settings and such appears thats not wobbly, then it flicks back to loading screen and thats wobbly. I'm a bit confused by this, and can only assume that this info is hard coded somewhere and is not directly running through my video card.

I could understand my screen going blank as I have read about this while googling. Yet this wobbling concerns me, and I would just like confirmation off anyone who has experienced this or any theories. I've sent for a request to return the card, as I can only assume the wobbling is part of, or the whole of, the problem.

Thankyou for your time.

My specs and other info:

P4 3.0ghz HT
cd drive
dvd drive
hd 40gig :(
windows xp sp1
1g mushkin ddr400 ram
650watt psu
gigabyte GA-8ipe1000 pro 2

If you need anymore info let me know.

Welcome to Techspot !

When you uninstalled the 4200 did you revert your display settings back to standard vga , and reboot before installing the 6800?
That usually forces old driver files out of the whole system.
Also You might try resetting your CMOS .
Let us know how you made out.

Could you by default be booting up to a refresh rate that your monitor can't handle? If that's the case, some monitors will shut out to avoid damage....

Just my $.02

Cheers for the replies. I've got it working now. I cleared my cmos. Then I think it was defaulting to a refresh rate I couldn't handle(i forgot to mention I have a LCD, so maybe this is common on these screens) Anyways, I eventually got it loaded, and had to apply the nvidia drivers during a horrible flickering screen that kept going blank then on. Once they were installed all went fine. However I still get a wobbly loading screen, but once loaded, all is well. So glad I didn't have to send it back. Cheers all again, and thanks for the welcome.

Farcry now rocks ultra high all sparkly. Damn I'll have to start HL2 again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back