WOF: What's your take on the Xbox One X?

midian182

Staff member

Unless you’ve been living under a rock these last seven days, you’ll have no doubt heard about the Xbox One X. Microsoft unveiled the console, which was previously known as Scorpio, at its E3 event on Sunday, and it’s quickly become one of the most popular topics on social media.

The reaction to the machine has been fairly mixed; many say they can’t wait to pre-order it, but others have mocked the $500 price - $100 more than its (admittedly less powerful) PS4 Pro rival – as well as the lack of exclusive games. Most people do agree, however, that ‘Xbox One X’ is a terrible name – sticking with Scorpio would have been better.

Many of the Xbox One X games running at 4K were impressive, but we’ve sent plenty of other titles at E3 whose final releases didn't live up to their earlier versions. And while some games, like Forza 7, run at the magical native 4K/60fps mark, others, such as Destiny 2, are locked to 30fps at 4K.

For this Weekend Open Forum, we want to know what you think of the Xbox One X. Are you excited by the prospect and intend to pre-order one the second they become available? Is it just an overpriced, overhyped console that takes advantage of a display technology not everyone has access to? And will it benefit, hinder, or have no effect on the PC market? Whatever your thoughts, let us know in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

You know what's better than a Scorpio?

The Xbox One X, which, as fate would have it, isn't as exciting as a Scorpio.

Here's the problem with the X once you get past the suboptimal name: no incentive. This is the same problem the PS4 and PS4 Pro have. Yeah, they're really great consoles, but...what for? Destiny? Madden? Call of Duty?

Back in the era of the PS3 and Xbox 360, a strong case could be made for either console. This time around there is no reason to grab one over the other outside of price, bundling, or controller preference. There aren't enough exclusives for either platform and most people don't have 4K televisions to run either the Pro or the X at their advertised output. What's more, all the big name games are, wait for it... multiplatform.

If you have a PC, there is hardly any reason to spend $500 on a console. For that price, you can grab a 960 Pro M.2, God knows how many Steam sales, upgrade your graphics card, buy a high-end CPU...the list goes on and on. Toss in a 4K TV if you don't already have one and now you have enough cash to build a whole new system that blows an XBOX (I see what they did there...) out of the water.

So. The question for the Xbox One X is the same as the question for the PS4 Pro:

Why?

I don't see any reason.

(Unless you plan to use it as a decorative item like my PlayStation 4.)

This time around there is no reason to grab one over the other outside of price, bundling, or controller preference. There aren't enough exclusives for either platform and most people don't have 4K televisions to run either the Pro or the X at their advertised output. What's more, all the big name games are, wait for it... multiplatform.

So. The question for the Xbox One X is the same as the question for the PS4 Pro:

Why?

I don't see any reason.

I'll leave these here for you to look over...
http://www.businessinsider.com/sony-announces-ps4-60-million-consoles-sold-2017-6
https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/ps4-console-exclusives-confirmed-for-2017/2900-1048/

Re: Business Insider -- I didn't say it doesn't sell. I said there's no library worth investing in right now.

Re: GameSpot -- I don't pay attention to lists of PS4 exclusives that include games that aren't PS4 exclusives: https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/ps4-console-exclusives-confirmed-for-2017/2900-1048/16/

More to the point, the topic is about the One X. How well the PS4 sells has squat all to do with reasons to buy an Xbox. Neither platform has a must-have, exclusive library. Ergo, my answer to the forum question.

I think the merger of consoles and PCs is all but inevitable at this point. Very few of us are willing to buy what amounts to a second PC just to play a tiny number of exclusive games. $500 will get me a screaming GPU that I can put into my gaming PC that has several times the storage, processing power and versatility of a console. I think the most likely development is the rise of portable gaming PCs that replace consoles. Valve was clearly hoping to get ahead of this development with Steam Machines but quickly found out that making computer games work on a controller is really more trouble than its worth. Steam Machines are also a little more expensive than they should be considering the fairly modest hardware, and the fact they only run Linux games surely doesn't help. If you really like the Steam controller you're much better off just getting one on sale and hooking it to your regular rig. At some point the cost of a small form factor gaming PC with transport-friendly enclosure will hit the sweet spot, and that will probably be the end of dedicated consoles as we know it. A serious gaming laptop can be had for $800 now so its not that far off. Frankly, instead of trying to dumb down PCs to the level of mobile gadgets Microsoft should be working on a portable Xbox. Nintendo has proven the hybrid approach *does* work for consoles and I can virtually guarantee that Sony is developing an answer as we speak. Remember, the most powerful consoles are both full x86 architecture now, so there is literally nothing preventing those specialized AMD video chipsets from working on a regular PC. There's another possibility as well, at least for Microsoft: they could add support for Windows desktop programs to the next Xbox.

Last edited:
It will sell well. I am sick of people saying there are no exclusives: Sunset Overdrive, Halo, Gears, Forza, Ryse, Titanfall..etc...

Aaa...Sony PS4 has more exclusives! And you are playing...? Fifa and Battlefield 1! :))))

Everybody hates Destiny, but they play the game. X is overpriced, but a 500 usd video card is ok?

You want it? Buy it! You don't? Relax!

1. ZERO EXCLUSIVES.
2. See #1
3. Overpriced
4. If you own a PC, no need
5. If you own a PS4, no need
6. Still no exclusives no matter how many times they misused that word (lied)

Re: Business Insider -- I didn't say it doesn't sell. I said there's no library worth investing in right now.

Re: GameSpot -- I don't pay attention to lists of PS4 exclusives that include games that aren't PS4 exclusives: https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/ps4-console-exclusives-confirmed-for-2017/2900-1048/16/

More to the point, the topic is about the One X. How well the PS4 sells has squat all to do with reasons to buy an Xbox. Neither platform has a must-have, exclusive library. Ergo, my answer to the forum question.

Forgive me for making you believe the list I posted was the only one in existence and and attempts to do your own search would result in your arms falling off.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/exclusives/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PS4EXCLUSIVESCAT|game_content_type~games|/1
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/exclusives/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PS4EXCLUSIVESCAT|game_content_type~games|/2

You think these EXCLUSIVES don't/didn't sell a TON of consoles? Still think it's bundles and controllers? Microsoft has nothing. They didn't even have an exclusive to release with the XBOX. Where is Halo 6? What are these games Phil Spencer says are coming in 2-3 years? You know profit comes from games and accessories right?

Oh, and if One X was your point - stay on topic. That way, you don't have to waste time and keystrokes telling me that part of your comment was supposed to be ignored. ;)

I know all this and the last console I had was the original XBOX. I had to reply to your comment solely based on your assumption that there is and won't be a reason to buy either console aside from what bundles are available and what controller you like the best. I mean, seriously? These are consoles with similar hardware - that play games. Not dGPU's with the only difference being the aesthetics and price.

What brings gamers to a particular console... are the games. It's 100% common sense.

Last edited:
My take is that consoles have always been easier to use than PC's. You know the game you bought will work without tinkering with settings (it's heavily optimized), and you don't have to worry about much else. Easier to start up a console at the end of the work day and go straight to playing games. It's also more kid friendly than PC with less setup.

That said, the XoX will help silence the annoying PC bro's who complain that consoles aren't powerful enough for their price.
If there's a trade in deal, I might end up getting one, but as it stands I'm a PC power user and don't need to worry about spending more money this generation if I don't have to. Never put graphics over gameplay anyways......

Ps4 has 3 games: Horizon, God of War 4 and Uncharted 4. Same for Xbox. Most of the people don't play exclusives. There are a lot of people that buy console to play with friends Fifa, NBA, Forza, NFS, etc...

Have fun, play the games!

Forgive me for making you believe the list I posted was the only one in existence and and attempts to do your own search would result in your arms falling off.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/exclusives/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PS4EXCLUSIVESCAT|game_content_type~games|/1
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/exclusives/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PS4EXCLUSIVESCAT|game_content_type~games|/2

You think these EXCLUSIVES don't/didn't sell a TON of consoles? Still think it's bundles and controllers? Microsoft has nothing. They didn't even have an exclusive to release with the XBOX. Where is Halo 6? What are these games Phil Spencer says are coming in 2-3 years? You know profit comes from games and accessories right?

Oh, and if One X was your point - stay on topic. That way, you don't have to waste time and keystrokes telling me that part of your comment was supposed to be ignored. ;)

I know all this and the last console I had was the original XBOX. I had to reply to your comment solely based on your assumption that there is and won't be a reason to buy either console aside from what bundles are available and what controller you like the best. I mean, seriously? These are consoles with similar hardware - that play games. Not dGPU's with the only difference being the aesthetics and price.

What brings gamers to a particular console... are the games. It's 100% common sense.

1. Marketing sells consoles. Sony has light years better marketing than Microsoft. That's why the PS4 has sold so well inspite of lackluster exclusives.

2. Posting yet another list, this time from the PSN, filled with non-exclusives doesn't make your point. It makes mine: if you have a PC, there is no compelling reason to by a console right now. Bigger indie scene, more selection, no subscription fee for online. In short, more games.

3. You seem to have a difficult time with reading. Citing the PS4/Pro as indicative of the problem with Xbox One X (lack of a compelling library) is not straying from the subject.

I said that there is no incentive to purchase an Xbox One X because it does not have enough exclusive titles, just like the XBO and PS4/Pro. There are bigger, better libraries available on PC and most major titles are multiplatform, reducing things to a matter of preference and cost.

This does not mean, as you seem to think it does, that the PS4 has 0 games and/or 0 exclusives. It means, quite simply, that the library is not robust enough to make it worth while over alternatives on its own. You know, like I said in the original post.

The PS4, the PS4 Pro, and the Xbox One thru X all have the same problem: no incentive. Next year that will change for the base models (not the Pro/X). But right now? Waste of money (which is why I never purchased a PS4 despite having owned the previous two consoles).

P.S. Since you like to clamor on about doing research, please take note of this sales chart. The one that is filled with multi platform titles that are bundled with the PS4 and only *one* exclusive hat even makes the top 10:
http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/69/playstation-4/

Consoles are a waste of money until summer 2018. They don't have enough exclusives.

Ps4 has 3 games: Horizon, God of War 4 and Uncharted 4. Same for Xbox. Most of the people don't play exclusives. There are a lot of people that buy console to play with friends Fifa, NBA, Forza, NFS, etc...

Have fun, play the games!

Major games you missed on PS4: Bloodborne, KIllzone: SF, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Yakuza 0 and of course, the upcoming The Last of Us 2 and Gran Turismo Sport. Even if most people buy consoles to play with friends they also consider exclusives and there`s nowhere near "the same" between PS4 and Xbone.

I don't have any take on it. As far as I'm concerned it's about as interesting as watching grass grow and completely meaningless to me.

Xbox Onex X XX - X2 double triple XXX editionX

When were consoles interesting anyway? It will do one thing it's supposed to do but anyone with any tech knowledge will lean towards PC.

Good! How many of the exclusive
Major games you missed on PS4: Bloodborne, KIllzone: SF, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Yakuza 0 and of course, the upcoming The Last of Us 2 and Gran Turismo Sport. Even if most people buy consoles to play with friends they also consider exclusives and there`s nowhere near "the same" between PS4 and Xbone.

And you are playing how many? 2-3 of them? It' s not possible to like all of them. I love God of War and Uncharted. But Nioh? Yakuza?

I don't get Pc players. You' re upset because Xbox games are on pc, too? :)))

Probably the wrong place to ask "What's your take on the Xbox One X?"

To mostly PC gamers! I just did a lot of upgrades to my PC. I too have no interest in console gaming.

Focuses on 4K instead of smooth gameplay at resolution people actually use, no interesting exclusives, everything that comes to xbox seems to come to PC, bad name and it's made by microsoft (gfwl, monthly fees on console gaming, ruining of multiple gamestudios, downfall of sega, app store with software that hides it self like some virus...).

As it's aimed at americans the naming will be the reason for it to flop, like with wii U typical american consumer won't understand the difference between the old and new models and as normal xbone wont cost anything now people will buy those for their kids.

Good! How many of the exclusive

And you are playing how many? 2-3 of them? It' s not possible to like all of them. I love God of War and Uncharted. But Nioh? Yakuza?

I don't get Pc players. You' re upset because Xbox games are on pc, too? :)))

I have played them all and loved it, maybe only Yakuza not so much. Can`t wait for The Last of Us 2, God of War 4, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, are you fckin kidding me?

Back