Wondering if i could upgrade to 1gig

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.freeman

alright i want to upgrade my ram to a gig but the problem im concerned about is if my motherboard can handle it.

imnot sure if this is ever a problem or not but ill ask anyway

i have a Intel D850BG motherboard and it takes RDRAM from my expiereince, but the man from gateway instant chat said it takes 184 pin type of SDRAM

but my question is can that main board handle the extra 512 ram

oh and by the way it takes 2 sticks and i was planning on getting 2 sticks of 512 each

The Intel i850 chipset supports RDRAM from Rambus which you can still get on newegg but they're quite expensive. They need to be installed in pairs so 2x 512mb would be your only option.

You can get them from Corsair (LINK) but the only 512mb DIMM I could find was ECC & very expensive.

...wow thats a bit expensive

im sure if i look around i can find something cheaper

oh and do u think its even worth upgrading it? or should i just get a new main board and then build off that?

thanx for the help btw.

if 200 bucks is the cheapest for 1 stick of it i would recommend you upgrade your entire system to say something like an XP3000(400mhz fsb) or possibly an AMD64, that support DDR.

I recently purchased an xp3000(barton) with an ABIB NF7(nforce chipset) and a gig of DualChannel DDR for just over 300 including shipping from newegg.

if your ram is gonna cost you 200 bucks a stick.. i would move away from it..

ya i guess u guys r right i just need a new main board... ugh... such a drag. oh well im guessing everything i have will still be compatible with a new main board accept RAM rigt? cause i dont want to start all over again from scratch

oh and urbandragon did u mean the ABIT NF7-S V2 socket A or the S2 or the S2G

cause if its good i might think about it too

Rdram

You could just purchase a cheap RDRAM terminator to put in the other slot, if you wanted to have only one module. But, yea RDRAM is costly and although is is alot faster and has better performance, it's probably not worth it. Get some cheap SDRAM.

well my pc cant use sdram so i guess ill just go with a new motherboard and all prbly end up cheaper in the end

the guy from gateway said it uses sdram but it doesnt. so if u have any recommendations on motherboards id be interested in post em if u like

Rdram

Is that for RDRAM?...thats pretty cheap. I know most companies dont make it anymore. They are completely different from SDRAM, in that it uses RIMMs instead of the SDRAM DIMMs. So you really couldnt shove a RIMM into a DIMM socket...well I guess you could but you'd probably need a new motherboard afterward :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back