Wont Turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fmlyguy1993

Me And my bro are Building a new computer. It doesnt turn on. Do I need memory installed for it to turn on?

And right now we have the Harddrive, ATX Motherboard, Power Supply, Processor, CD Drive. And Wires that we thought was the problem.
oh and I think the Motherboard had somekind of graphics card built in. But any suggestions?

If this is wrong board sorry. if it is, someone make a link or tell me which board please. Thank you.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

What do you mean by "won`t turn on"?

Normally if you try and start a computer without any ram, you will get lot`s of beeps.

A computer won`t post without ram.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Like nothing happens. Doesnt turn on. Its not hooked up to a monitor no memory but I thought after pressing that button I would see that ilttle thing go green or some kind of color.

I`m not sure what your problem may be.

Take a look at this guide to building a pc HERE maybe it will help.

You did use the standoffs between your mobo, and case didn`t you?

Double, and triple check everything.

Regards Howard :)

Fmlyguy1993 said:
I dont know. what does it look like? and do motherboards come with one?

I take it you mean standoffs?

They are the little spacers that screw into your case, and then the mobo is laid on top of these, and screwed down.

Take a look HERE you`ll see what I mean.

Yes. They go between the mobo, and case. This stops the mobo from shorting out on the case.

Take a look at the guide to building a pc I linked to. It really is useful, and contains lot`s of good photographs.

Fmlyguy1993 said:
it looks like my motherboard is just flat up against the side of the case.

Well if you didn`t use standoffs, then your mobo won`t work. All it will do is short circuit against the case.

Is that a common problem? and does it really mean the difference between a 450 powersupply or something like that from turning on the comp or not? just wondering. and how much do these cost? im taking some new parts and some old parts ( like the hard drive ) and putting them into a new case.

It is a common problem with first time builders.

If this is a brand new mobo, then it should`ve come with the standoffs in a small packet of screws etc.

If this is your old mobo from your old case. You can use the standoffs from your old case.

If you really need to buy standoffs. Any pc shop will stock them. They are only cheap.

Your powersupply has nothing to do with it. If your mobo is laid directly against the case, there will be a short circuit. All those solder joints on the underside of the mobo will be in contact with the case. Hence the need for standoffs.

well, when I look at my old case. Its hard to know if they are flat against the case. I dont know how big these standoffs are.

Take a look at this pic of a standoff, and it`s screw.

DSCF1049.jpg

I hope this helps.

oh ok. well and is it possible that im trying to run it on a 150 watt? its a ATX-1523D PSU. when I have a 450 from a new case but i need like some kind of plug for it.

I see what you mean about the psu now.

A 150 watt psu in all probability won`t be powerfull enough.

What plug do you require for the 450 watt psu?

Is it an adapter to connect the psu to the mobo? If so these are readily available from most pc shops, or the internet.

BTW, standoffs typically come with the case rather than the motherboard. Sometimes they're plastic.

mailpup said:
BTW, standoffs typically come with the case rather than the motherboard. Sometimes they're plastic.

Yes they should come with the case or the motherboard.

mailpup said:

You are of course absolutely correct.

Why the hell I said they came with the mobo I don`t know lol

Regards Howard :blush:

ok, when my bro came home he said he had standoffs on. another question. I had a 150 watt power supply for a new motherboard. woudl my computer turn on at all? I just ordred a 20 to 24 pin power cable so i can plug in my 450 watt. but would a 150 power up the computer at all? just wondering

That 150watt psu might not power on your system. Particularly if it`s a cheap and nasty one.

You`ll soon find out though when you try your 450watt psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back