Word 2003 converting files

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticRains

Hello Everyone,

For some reason my MS Word 2003 is now trying to "File Conversion" all doc files I get in by email. These files are word 2002 format.

Word 2003 tells me to select the encoding that makes my document readable - text encoding: windows, MS-DOS, other encoding.
None of these convert the files to a usable format that I can read in the preview window that is shown while selecting codes.

Has anyone had this problem?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have gone to the MS web site and updated Word already and restarted.

May you all have a wonderful day,

Well, are you sure the problem is with Word and not your e-mail program?

What do you see in the preview window?

The email has a doc file attached to it. I click on the attachment and save it to a directory on the server. I then Open Word 2003 and open the file.
A new window opens titled "File Conversion - name of file.doc"
In the body of it has:
"Select the encoding that makes my document readable.
Text encoding:
(Selection boxes) Windows, MS-DOS, other encoding."
There is a list of countries on the right hand side, plus a preview section at the bottom of this window which shows a block of letter that do not make up words.

None of these country selections convert the files to a usable format that I can read in the preview window that is shown while selecting codes.

I hope that I have worded things ok.
As for it being the email (outlook), I have gotten other file types that work ok. Just seems to be word doc's that do not open. I have also tries opening the files on other computers too. No go.

Thank you very much for replying. Hope you are having a good day.

Do a search in Word Help> File conversion > encoding.
It may be you are trying to open a document under a Language/Font or Encoding, that you donot have installed.
The instruction there should allow you to find out what is missing.

MysticRains said:
plus a preview section at the bottom of this window which shows a block of letter that do not make up words

Now, does that block of letters look anything like this? (That's 76 charactrs per line here)
Code:
Li9TWVNDSEVDSzE0Mi5raXQvaW5zdGN0cmwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADAwMDc3NSAAMDAwMDAw
IAAwMDAwMDAgADAwMDAwMDAwMDAwIDEwNTAyNDcyNDEyIDAxNTU0NSAANQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
If yes, then either the sender encoded the attachment wrong or your e-mail program is decoding the attachment wrong. Try another program or saving the raw message file on your computer and decoding it with a program called UUDeview.

Liquidlen, Tedster, and Nodsu:

Thank you all for the suggestions - I will try these out. :)

Nodsu - yes, it does look like that. I'll try it.

I hope one of these work.... I got the doc's from the city for a project I am working on and it is due on Tuesday. But this is not the first time files with this error has come by email.

Thank you all very very much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back