Word 2013 Problem / Office 2013 Problem

mkirk

I use Windows 7. This problem started when I changed from Office 2007 to Office 2013. When I have one or more Word documents open and I try to open another Word document, sometimes the new document does not open. An icon for the new document appears on the taskbar (along with the icons for all other open documents), but the new Word document doesn't open. Instead, I remain in the Word document that I was in when I tried to open the new document.

Example: Word Documents 1 and 2 are open, and I am in Document 2. I press CTRL+O and enter the name of Document 3. An icon for Document 3 appears on the taskbar (along with the icons for Document 1 and Document 2), but I remain in Document 2. If I click anywhere in Document 2, a new window appears that says WELCOME TO OUTLOOK 2013. It wants to add my e-mail account, but I don't use Outlook. I click the Cancel button to remove the Outlook window. I still am in Document 2. If I press CTRL+F6 repeatedly, I can see Document 1 and Document 2, but not Document 3; when Document 3 should be displayed, its icon on the taskbar is depressed but the current document is displayed instead of Document 3. I can get into Document 3 by (1) double clicking the Document 3 icon on the taskbar, or (2) by clicking the Document 1 or Document 2 icon on the taskbar, and then clicking the Document 3 icon on the taskbar.

This happens randomly about 10-20 percent of the time with different documents. I created all documents on my computer; no online documents are involved.

My attempts to correct the problem
1. Control Panel, Programs and Features, click on Microsoft Office 2013, right-click, select change, follow the prompts which re-installs Office 2013. The problem persisted.
2. In a Word document, File, Options, trust center, trust center settings, protected view, uncheck all 3 items, OK, OK. The problem persisted.

I don't use Office 2013 and never will. Even word 2007 separated me from everything I knew about my previous Office version 2000 and that was enough for me. If MS want to reinvent the wheel every 18 months and it comes out as a tank track, they can get on with it on their own.

I can only suggest that reinstalling Office 2013 is not just a question of going through the normal motions, you should clear Office off completely, try to find a way to clear all Office registry entries, then download the latest full installer (so avoiding all the updates required) and start all over. Be careful to back up your documents and options first.

If that does not help, try something more useful, like OpenOffice. Other people's opinions here https://www.techspot.com/community/...available-subscriptions-start-at-9-99.189367/

Last edited:
TOTALLY agree. Uninstall Ms Office 20xx, reboot.
Download and install Openoffice which is compatible and will be able to Print/View/Edit all Office files.

Generally in agreement.
MS has tended to break more than they fix with each iteration.
I am still using the 2010 suite, and have not "upgraded" because of the learning curve for each new iteration.
This will likely be my last version of MSOffice.
All that said.
I have not had the specific issues you report with opening new documents.
Though I have had issues with the way "sort" was broken in Excel in 2010.
but...
Since I use a presentation program,
I have felt kind of stuck with the MSOffice suite.
There are many things I like about Open Office AND Libre Office.
I just find that the presentations they can produce (at this time) do not have all the polish of Powerpoint.
Still... I am moving ever more in that direction.
And that despite the fact I have used MSOffice
since ... what did they call it? Office 95?
(Before that it was MSWorks.)

And now MS wants to force us to Win10 with the next generation of hardware?
I am moving ever more toward "Open Source" (Linux).
<grumble, mutter, sputter, complain> :)
So... maybe someday my moniker will change from B00kWyrm to Grumpy Geezer.
Join the ranks along side Capt. Cranky! :D

Generally in agreement.
MS has tended to break more than they fix with each iteration.
I am still using the 2010 suite, and have not "upgraded" because of the learning curve for each new iteration.
This will likely be my last version of MSOffice.
The axiom "Don't fix it if it isn't broken" fits here. Unless there's a compelling reason to upgrade, use what you've got.
I'm still on Quickbooks Pro 2009 which does everything I need.

By the way...
Open Office and Libre Office are much more friendly about opening non-native formats too!
One of the things I appreciate.
Sometimes they can identify and open an older file that has me totally stumped.

Open Office and Libre Office are much more friendly about opening non-native formats too!
Sometimes they can identify and open an older file that has me totally stumped.
Absolutely right. Many times, OpenOffice will open an earlier Word version file when a later Word version will not. How crazy is that?

Not sure now, but
I think once I found an old MSWorks file
that that one of them opened without a blink or a hiccup.

Back