Working hoverboard breaks record for farthest flight

Scorpus

Staff member

Canadian software engineer Catalin Alexandry Duru has broken the Guinness World Record for the farthest flight by a hoverboard. Duru's propeller-powered prototype board set the new record at 275.9 meters, around five times greater than the previous world record.

The hoverboard created by Duru flew over a meter above the water at Lake Ouareau, Quebec to break the world record in August last year. Following the usual Guinness verification process, Duru can now claim the world record with an impressive showing from a hoverboard that appears to be laden with equipment.

After the success of the Guinness World Record attempt, Duru and his business partners are creating a new, prototype hoverboard - controlled only by the feet of the pilot - that will hopefully lead to a commercial product down the line. The high-powered motors that made the world record hoverboard so successful will be a critical component of this commercial product.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

He was hovering? It looked like he was very high off the water to me, so much so that I thought the authorities would be waiting for him to check his pilots license once he splashed down.

Seems like a lot of these things come about due to inspiration from movies and video games. Computers that recognise voice commands from star trek in the 1960's and now hover boards from back to the future. Not sure about jet packs, though I do remember them from an early 80's video game from 'Ultimate play the game' (went on to be known as rare).

Actually, inspiration of these sorts started a long time before movies and video games. Jewels Verne (1828-1905) envisioned and wrote about a number of futuristic ideas. Some of his works included: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth, From the Earth to the Moon, Around the World in Eighty Days, The Mysterious Island, Five Weeks in a Balloon, Master of the World, Off on a Comet. Mankind has always dreamed of the impossible and, with time, has often achieved it above and beyond our expectations. So things like curing cancer, reversing the ageing process, and so many more will most certainly happen ... it's all just a matter of time.

I thought hoverboards don't work on water... unless you got power. Must be a pit bull

It feels all wrong, like 4 high powered roflcopters / drones, lifting him up, and as previously stated by Skid, it is too high to count as a hoverboard. This should not have back to the future references, this is clearly from a different film, but then I couldn't remember who used a board like device to go higher up, am I thinking Thor's alien friends from the Avengers film?

If it was hoverskates, with a figure skating / ice skating movement, and girly like Channing Tatums awful character in the awful film, that is just a lot of rehashed Matrix nonsense that didn't get used in the original films, Jupiter Ascending, then said film or actors could be referenced in the article.

But Marty and Doc imply a hoverboard which acts almost exactly as skateboard, and it was not as loud as roadworks are in the dead of night. So, take it down, do it again. :D This Article gets a C-

Seems a bit more like flying than hovering just on a platform type helicopter....They will not come up with a true hoverboard like in the movie unless they can figure out anti-gravity.

Ok, about inspiration, you know where these guys got it:

As for the video published in the article, it looks more like a steal from spider-man's goblin.

Last edited:
Ok, about inspiration, you know where these guys got it:

That's even worse..notice the ramp is metal so they are probably using electromagnetism so you couldn't use it at all on a sidewalk! seems like a money pit that will never achieve true hoverboard like the movie

Back