Working with desktop icons in xp

By jimflint1
Oct 13, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My icons text has white text on a blue background. How can I get rid of the blue background leaving only the white text?
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

Hi Jim.

Give this programme a try.

I have no idea as to it`s effectiveness, so I`d be grateful if you`d let me know.

Regards Howard :)
  3. Peddant

Peddant Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,644

If the above doesn`t do it,try -

Right-click on your desktop and select: Properties/Desktop/Customize Desktop/Web tab
    and uncheck "Lock Desktop Items", OK/Apply.

THEN

Right-click MY COMPUTER and select: Properties/Advanced/Performance settings/Visual Effects,
    place a check next to "Use Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on the Desktop"/click Apply.
  4. jimflint1

jimflint1 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 235

Thanks both of you. I tried Howard's suggestion first. I downloaded the program, but there aren't any clear instructions on how to use it. I tried doing what I thought was implied by the brief product description--that is entering the name of the exe file at the command prompt but got something like a "this isn't recognized". So, I tried Peddant's suggestion and for what I needed it for, it worked just fine.
  5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

That`s great news, thanks for letting us know.

Regards Howard :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.