Worth upgrading CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schizoid77

I have some extra cash, and my current hobby is taking my present desktop to it's ultimate limit...a good learning experience for me.
Would it be worth it to replace my current 2.26ghz p4 with a 2.8?

And while my mobo doesn't support HT, can I still put in a chip that does support it?

Thanks.

Yeah, it would be a decent performance difference. Not sure if your mobo would support a HT chip if it isnt made for it. It would be a good idea to pay 60-70 quid for a decent 800fsb p4 mobo. Having 8000fsb would be even more of a perfromance upgrade and will open the door for upgrading to better canterwood chips in the future.

If you cannot get the money for a new mobo, the 2.6b 533fsb would be a decent upgrade, they are about 110-120 quid.

I wouldnt upgrade it, just because its not a huge boost [MHz wise] for the price of a new chip. However, if your into OCing, the 2.6Cs and 2.8Cs overclock very well :) Im pretty sure a HT chip will work in a non-HT mobo, but you wont get HyperThreading.

If your going to buy an HT chip, an HT mobo is a must. Wait until you get a mobo to use the full potential of your cpu.

By the time you get money for a mobo that supports HT, you'll probably want a new chip all together.

I would wait it out, until you have money for a new cpu and mobo.

It's all dependant on the price of your upgrade. Can you get a decent deal on this chip? HyperThreading shouldn't affect you, heck, your motherboard may even have a BIOS update that supports it.

It all depends on if you feel that 500mhz upgrade is worth $150. To me it isn't, however if you could sell your current chip to offset the cost, maybe it's a decent upgrade. Personally, the chip is the last item on a computer I upgrade as most other components are more often than not your biggest bottleneck. A large stock of RAM often does wonders for performance, or an upgrade to a faster, bigger hard drive also normally will show better performance gains than a CPU upgrade.

YOu would be better to upgrade your MOBO to one that supports 800fsb and HT insted of wasting the money on a chip that will not really have much improvement then what you have now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back