Worthless Rig Appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a fine system at home; nothing too outrageous, but its 2.5 ghz and beautiful LCD screen have been ever-faithful to me. However, as I've posted on another board, my GeForce 4 Ti has completely crapped out, meaning that I won't be able to immediately jump back into the wonderful world of gaming when I return from school. However, I have found this:

http://www.bfgtech.com/6800GT_PCIX.html

Not only is this a great make, it also has a lifetime warranty. Unheard of. Problem? It's probably going to run me up to $350, which I can not afford out of my college subsistance fund. Solution? TCNJ gave me a free laptop as part of my scholarship, which, I believe, would have cost about $1100. Without a monster video card, however, this laptop is practically worthless to me. Computer access is easier to find on this campus than herpes simplex. Therefor and so on, tell me how much you think I could get for this machine:

Dell LATITUDE D505 Laptop
14" LCD Screen
Intel Pentium M 1400 Mhz Processor
512 MB RAM
Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI Card
Intel PRO/100 Ethernet NIC Card
30 GB internal hard drive
HL-DT-ST DVD+RW Drive
Intel Extreme Graphics 2 For Mobile graphics card.

That 6800GT is a PCI Express card and wont work in your system. You need an AGP card. You can get a Radeon 9800 Pro for about $150 or an AGP 6600GT for about $200. Considering your processor is only 2.5g Id go with the 9800. Its a great card. I can play Half Life 2 at 1600x1200 with everything on high.

Out of curiosity, how did you know that a PCI card wouldn't work with my computer based off what I said?

I am still looking at different cards, though. BFG has a bunch of different models: 6800, 6600, 6600 OC, PCI, AGP, blah blah.

If you want that bfg 6800gt and want it to be compatible with your computer get the agp version.
http://www.bfgtech.com/6800GTOC.html
How people know that your computer is not pci-e is that pci-e is new and if your computer has a geforce 4200, then it likely is several years old now.

You said you had a Geforce Ti which is AGP. The 6800 series cards are total overkill for your system unless you are going to upgrade the motherboard and processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back