Would a 7.1 channel Sound Card work with a 5.1 speaker set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anubhab123

My friend's girlfriend bought him logitech z 640 5.1 channel speakers(for his computer) for his b-day however she forgot to consider that he needs a sound card instead of onboard sound to make use of the speakers.He has a Sony Vaio Series S Notebook.I was thinking of getting him an Audigy 2 ZS Notebook PCMCIA 7.1 channel sound card for his b-day to make sure the speakers she got him work. I am not sure however if a 5.1 speakers would work with 7.1 channel sound card.I would imagine that it does,however,I cannot be completely sure. If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated.

Yes, they will work, but he will only be able to get 5.1 sound. I would check the spec's of that notebook. It may or may not have 5.1 support. Even if the onboard sound isn't 5.1, he will still be able to use the speakers.

ya get your friend the audigy 2 zs notebook pcmcia card,they are great,the power and feature of an audigy 2 in a small pcmcia card.it has 7.1 support that doesnt mean it will work with ONLY 7.1 system on the contrary it can work with anythng from stereo,2.1,5.1 and 7.1 systems.having 7.1 functionality only give the card an extra feature for the future as most of the dvd's and games are only encoded in 5.1 and only a handful that truly support 7.1.it is intended to work with a 5.1,combine it with a logitech z640 and you've got your self an audiophiles,hardcore gamer,movie buffs prized possesion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back