Would a X1900XT Fit My Current Mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condor

Motherboard:Chaintech 7AJA2(E) (1 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 3 DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8363A Apollo KT133A
CPU: AMD Athlon XP, 1400 MHz (5.25 x 267) 1600+

I'm planning to replace my Radeon 9800 128 MB with this:
POWERCOLOR 1900XT512OEM Radeon X1900XT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card. Would my Chaintech 7AJA2 able to support that card? if not, can anyone recommend me one that's affordable but on the other hand.. reliable :p

same goes for CPU & 1 gig of memory, that would be swell!

That would most definitely NOT fit in your current board. Note that that card is only available in PCI-Express. PCI-Express is VERY different than standard PCI, and has been set as the new standard to replace the outdated AGP slots. So basically, your current board can't even dream of using that card.

It's a good thing you asked, but you might be able to find an X800 or something along those lines for your board.

For a CPU, all your board will support are Athlon XP Processors. So if you don't want to upgrade to a whole new board, just go to eBay or something (Froogle.com maybe) and search for "Athlon XP 2800 or 3000. I think there's also a 3200. But your board MIGHT be too old to run these. I don't think so though.

A gig of RAM, sure just go to Froogle.com and search for "1G DDR333" or "1G DDR400"

The 333 and 400 are the speeds at which the memory runs. AMD Processors don't yet support DDR2, which goes up to 800MHz.

Samsung makes good memory, but Kingston is the best in terms of reliability and price (in my opinion).

Try this for a good, affordable and reliable video card. Its a X1K series card so it has all the perks of the series but only thing is its AGP. It will run all ur games on full detail however.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814241017

Just a word of warning though. There have been instances where the card overheats and causes artifacts, especially in new games like GRAW. So if it's possible, get a new cooler for the card. U can get a good idea for one by using TechSpot's GPU Cooler Round-up. Here's the link.
https://www.techspot.com/reviews/hardware/gpu_cooler_roundup/

Oh, be sure to get a 450-500W PSU too. U will need it for the card. Antec brand PSUs are recommended by me as one of the cheapest & best around.

appreciate for the head start warning and those card/cooler and psu recommendation links.

You guys have such nice passion for PC knowledge.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back