TechSpot

Would appreciate PSU advice...

By pizzada
Feb 15, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi...I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this Sparkle PSU was OK ?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-486&depa=0

I am already at maximum budget, so if it is no good, then is there a decent alternative for the same cost?

Here is what it will run:
    1) Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton)
    2) Asus A7v880 MotherBoard
    3) 1 Maxtor 80 gig Hard Drive
    4) 1 'LiteOn' CD/RW drive
    5) and a Rosewill ATI Radeon 9600XT graphics card.

Also, if you have any suggestions, here is what I have put together at NewEgg.com : http://secure.newegg.com/app/shoppingcart.asp?promotionCode=

I am fairly set on the Athlon/Asus combo, but am open to ideas.

Thanks, peace... :D

PS: Is the OEM Windows XP gonna work ?
  2. isatippy

isatippy TS Rookie Posts: 593

it should work ok :hotouch: how much ram are you getting
  3. pizzada

pizzada TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 108

Well, Im looking at 2 256MB sticks of Kingston ram (matching, for DUAL channel purposes)...The board has 4 DIMM slots though, so I was hoping I could upgrade to a gig at least with 2 more sticks down the road.
  4. tbrunt3

tbrunt3 TS Rookie Posts: 495

Avoid it get a RAidmax ,Antech thermotake OCZ this a pretty cheap ps >> Get a better power power supply is overlooked and very important part of a computer .What is important to remember is efficenty of the power supply oyu need a rating of at least 70% or greater ...All the above brands have this as wella s a few more ..

Think about a different one.
  5. pizzada

Well, I found this Antec http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-917&depa=0 for the same cost..but it is only 300 watts, and after trying to make some sense of amperes/volts/rails etc...my head is spinning.. :giddy:

the output is: Output: +3.3V@20A; +5V@30A; -5V@0.5A; +12V@15A; -12V@0.5A; +5VSB@2A
    the efficiency rating is>= 68%

Ya' know, an ants brain is free...it processes over 1.2 trillion ((yes, that's trillion with a 'T')) calculations per second....it is self reproducing....can lift 10 times its body weight...and it operates on micro-watts of power.

Give me a MoBo/CPU combo that can do that ...so I don't have to spend $100 bucks on a PSU !!! :D
  6. tbrunt3

Well the 100$ range is where the 70% efficenty comes in at.. Just saying spend a little more to have less headaches later ..

Like I was saying a power supply is the most over looked !
  7. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

8. pizzada

I know what you're saying is right, tbrunt..it just hurts knowin it, is all.

I don't wanna blow up a whole new system over an extra $30...but Im sure you know how it is to be right at the limit..even over already...and then have to sacrifice some other part of the system.
    I wont be buying for at least a week, so maybe by then NewwEgg will have a sale on one of my parts, so I could use the extra in a better PSU.

BTW, thanks realblack..I searched the forum for hours yestdy for PSU stuff, and it was hard to find much directly about PSUs.

I still wish we could rig an ants brain to the circuit board somehow..be a lot cheaper for parts, and the electric bill wouldn't be so high either . :monkey:

peace..
  9. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 700

The last thing i would scrimp $$ on would be a PS...
    Given your specs for the time being i would just get a CD-Rom drive and save up for a burner...
    That or i would offer to clean out my neighbor's garage this weekend for 30 bucks. :)

patio. :cool:
  10. tbrunt3

Here is a list of the wattage and voltage each computer takes keep this.. For your records.

COMPONENT POWER REQUIRMENT LINES USED

OLDER CPU 20-40W +3.3V

ATHLON XP, 60-90W +12V
    ATHLON 64
    P4

MOTHERBOARD 20-30W +3.3V,+V AND 12V

RAM 20W per 256 +3.3v

PCI CARD 5-10W +5V

AGP VIDEO 20-50W +5VAND/OR+12V
    (3.3VFROM MOBO)

CPU CASE FAN 2-4W +12V

5,4000RPM HDD 5-10W +5AND +12V

7,2000RPM HDD 5-15W +5AND +12V

10,000RPM HDD 5-20W +5 AND +12V

FLOPPY 5 W +5 AND +12V

CD/DVD DRVE 10-20W +5 AND +12V

COLD CATH LIGHTS 3W EACH +12 OR +5

LED 1W EACH +12 OR +5
  11. pizzada

thanks tbrunt..

A breakdown is very helpful,

I guess it's time to find a broom....and a neighbor with a dirty garage. :blackeye:

peace...

12. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

If you just want to calculate watts, here is a calculator that will do it for you, with a little help from you of course.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.