TechSpot

Would changing ATI cards require driver reinstall?

By videobruce
Apr 11, 2004
  1. I have a Sapphire ATI 9100 (8500LE) card that I will be replacing with a PowerColor ATI 9600Pro.
    Do I have to do the whole nine yards of a uninstall and reinstall when I switch these cards using the same driver package?

Running 2k w/sp4

2. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

Well for optimum performance, I recommend you uninstall the drivers before removing the card and replacing it with the new one. It wouldn't take so long to install the drivers.

3. abc

abc TS Rookie Posts: 52

Quite simply, yes. I replaced a 9000 with a 9000 pro and still had to reinstall the dirvers.

[edit] beaten!

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

The same drivers apply to the entire Radeon series. You should have no problems.

5. abc

abc TS Rookie Posts: 52

I thought the same thing Rick, but it didn't work for me. Videobruce, try just replacing the card. If it doesn't work right you can always reinstall the drivers. no harm done :D

6. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Its always better to reinstall anyway.

7. PreservedSwine

PreservedSwine TS Rookie Posts: 375

Yes, swapping the cards w/out changing drivers = problems....even if both cards use the same set of drivers. Just un-install and re-install, and you're good:)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.