Would it be OK to buy an upgrade, but upgrade another person's complete OS?

Would it?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vehementi

What I am trying to say here is this - say one person has the complete version of Windows 9x or 2k, and another person has just the upgrade to XP, and the person with the complete version lets the person w/ the upgrade install their OS, then upgrade it.

I myself am not planning to do it, let's make that clear :p

I was wondering what your opinions are about this.

I don't see what's wrong with it, since you're not using the other person's OS. But there's be a fine line between installing and using. To do this, I think, would be trespassing into the gray regions of piracy, but not exactly embracing it...

If you are truly serious about following the EULA to the letter, then here it is:

UPGRADES. To use a Product identified as an upgrade, you must first be licensed for the product identified by Microsoft as eligible for the upgrade. After upgrading, you may no longer use the product that formed the basis for your upgrade eligibility.

As long as it is installed on the XP upgrade owner's computer, it is fine. What you are talking about is probably not however. What that says is that the owner of Windows 2000 would have the right to upgrade to Windows XP as long he owned a copy of that too, but the rest of the EULA prohibits distribution without additional licenses for each copy. You can only install Windows upgrade on 1 computer at a time (Probably only one that you own, as well).

There are laughable things about the EULA I think.. Some things like the part "After upgrading, you may no longer use the product that formed the basis for your upgrade eligibility"... Doesn't that mean if you upgrade from Windows 2000 to XP, then you would never be able to use Windows 2000 again? hahahaha!

Other funny things like only 10 computers may be connected to your computer at a time.. Think about that the next time you play a massively multiplayer game or get on your school network etc...

The EULA is a bit rediculous and honestly, I wouldn't make a big fuss about following it to the letter. Just use your better judgement and do what you consider fair... You've probably broken several EULA rules already with your Windows XP upgrade. LoL.

I enclosed the EULA as a txt file, but I'm probably breaking a law by distributing it to you. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• eula.txt
    28.6 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back