Would switching from XP to Windows 2000 be OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neil_ski

I need to reload the whole operating system and good old Best Buy never gave me a copy of XP.
I noticed that Windows 2000 costs a LOT less that XP.
Would this work OK?
Advantages? Disadvantages?

well, your PC was designed for XP, does it bere that sticker on the case, but whats the manufacturer, contact them for a restore or OS CD, most charge 20 bucks for em, its not just u, i bought both my eMachines PC, and most dont give an OS CD, they make you create your own set from the HD.

...AMD

as allready noted, there should be a COA sticker on the outside of your case which bears the CD Key for your OS as long as you have the COA you are licensed to use that operating system. you can contact the computer maker for a CD or you can use another XP Cd as long as it is the same ( pro or home) as the OS you had. it will install with your key from the coa.

If you try to reload your OS with XP, make sure you use an OEM version and not a Retail (store bought) XP CD. The retail XP version will not activate with a XP OEM key.

Honestly XP and W2k cost is similar if you go legit. Where are you finding your W2K prices?

I have both on mine must say I MUCH prefer w2k runs better for me, but it might just be a personal querk, all my friend prefer XP

XP is way better because of better features like more programs are compatible with it plus if it doesnt work then u can use program compatibility wizard. If you have a computer with windows and you can boot to at least safe mode, you can create a working windows CD by copying these three files from your main boot directory:

boot.ini

ntdrl.dll(it could be a different extension)

ntdetect.exe

then you can restore Windows XP by using repair console and typing 'fixmbr' to completely restore windows

gee, i feel stupid now, you guys are all telling him to do all this genius stuff, when all i did was say to call the PC company.

lol

...AMD

sw123 said:
XP is way better because of better features like more programs are compatible with it plus if it doesnt work then u can use program compatibility wizard. If you have a computer with windows and you can boot to at least safe mode, you can create a working windows CD by copying these three files from your main boot directory:

boot.ini

ntdrl.dll(it could be a different extension)

ntdetect.exe

then you can restore Windows XP by using repair console and typing 'fixmbr' to completely restore windows
Windows 2000 also has a compatibility wizard. The only usefull things Windows XP has over 2000 is the themes support, built-in pop-up blocker & firewall. Tha's about it.

& btw fixmbr just restores the boot record, nothing more.

You should be able to snag Windows XP Home edition (OEM) for $80-$90 or Professional for $100-120 or so.

That's really not much to pay for a Windows OS.

You can find Windows 2000 a little cheaper, but if you have to buy a copy, a lot of places are still selling it for almost that much.

Retail XP - Installs full stand-alone and upgrades previous versions
Upgrade XP - Upgrades your existing installation or installs stand-alone using your previous, qualifying Windows disc (previous retail)
OEM XP - Only installs full stand-alone. Cannot upgrade previous versions.

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
well, your PC was designed for XP, does it bere that sticker on the case, but whats the manufacturer, contact them for a restore or OS CD, most charge 20 bucks for em, its not just u, i bought both my eMachines PC, and most dont give an OS CD, they make you create your own set from the HD.

...AMD

Sorry, what's HD?

It's a Toshiba Labtop. Yes I recall that it does have a sticker.
The reason I want to try this is because the computer, now 4 years old, seems to be slower than I remember. I've gone throught the whole spyware procedure that Blackstuff created, but it still seems slow. I also have the maximum ram in it now (512MB).
It's probably just OLD! ha ha

I also lost access to the "My Network Connections" location. Ever since I installed a (horrible) Netgear wireless router, I am not able either get to "My Network Connections", nor am I able to connect directly to the router with the intranet cable. I returned the router, uninstalled the program as someone here suggested, but I still don't have access to "My Network Connections".
I'll check into this thanks.

I'm going to reply to the other posts too.

iss said:
as allready noted, there should be a COA sticker on the outside of your case which bears the CD Key for your OS as long as you have the COA you are licensed to use that operating system. you can contact the computer maker for a CD or you can use another XP Cd as long as it is the same ( pro or home) as the OS you had. it will install with your key from the coa.

So I can use someone else's XP home edition disc? Cool! I'll ask my brother if he has one.

tweaks_sav said:
If you try to reload your OS with XP, make sure you use an OEM version and not a Retail (store bought) XP CD. The retail XP version will not activate with a XP OEM key.

Honestly XP and W2k cost is similar if you go legit. Where are you finding your W2K prices?

It was online somewhere. I think it was on Bizrate.com. I believe I found it for around $30 to $40. I have been warned that there are ****** copies going around. So it may be a scam.

So the OEM version is the one that comes with a computer (installed , and on CD) that is purchased from the store?

ladyM said:
I have both on mine must say I MUCH prefer w2k runs better for me, but it might just be a personal querk, all my friend prefer XP

Does W2k use less ram? Would this make my Toshiba run faster? Or would this just be an issue of processor speed?

When I'm using mine to print pics from my 6mp camera, I've checked the CPU usage on the task manager. It seems to stick at 100% and freeze up for a bit.
Maybe it just means I need to upgrade from my 1 or so gig processor.

well, in response to your question, HD is short for "Hard-Drive", and your toshiba laptop should run WinXP great. 512MB is usually plenty of RAM for most ppl, and WinXP to run effectively. W2K does use less system resources, but keep in mind, that win2000 was originally designed for coporate workstations, and not personal desktop or notebooks. And win2000 is known to be less compatible than WinXP and have less user friendly features than WinXP.

And yes an OEM version is the kind that the PC manufactuer buys directly from Microsoft and Preinstalls on thier PCs. except they dont pay $200 like you would buying a full version in retail. MS sells stripped down versions of WinXP to PCs comanies, so therefor the computer compay has to provide supot for it. OEM stands for " Original Equipment Manufacturer"

As far as using a WinXP retail disc for reinstall, im not sure of the procedures for that, since your OEM copy of WinXP is locked to your motherboard. thats how MS handles OEM version, so if you was to ever changed your mobo, you have to buy another WinXP.

as far as "network connections" networks, arent realy my area of expertise, so if i were you, i would start another thread in the network section of the forums.

hope this helps:)
...AMD

Windows XP is running slow on that? I would check msconfig and see what you have running. I've had an old Compaq Presario P3[and celeron][933/599mhz] with 256mb ram run WinXp just fine.

as the above ,XP is way better beacause of better features like more programs are compatible with it plus
if your hardware are quite new, I suggest you'd better use XP because that can bring your hardware to a better capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back