Would this be a good video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps I am missing something. Your current power supply is a Delta 300 Watt. You want to buy a BIOStar GEForce 7600 GS V7602G551 7600GT BFGR76256 GTO CE 256 MD GDDR3 PCI-e X16 with $5.64 shipping.
Looks good! Are you in a state where you will have to pay sales tax?
An alternate would be www.zipzoomfly.com where their video cards shipping is free. Take a look at the ASUS EAX 1650PRO GAMER Edition HTB 256M Radeon X1656 Pro 256MB... and the other ASUS units they have.
Some people will quarrel with the power supply based on specs, but it is solid and performs well. You would have to pay $65 to upgrade to an equivalent 400 or 450 Antec or other model...
Don't listen to people who poo poo the Gateway Deltal PSU. It is designed for that box... I would add a case fan soon... cost about $12 to $15.

You should up the video card from a 7600GS to a 7600GT, from a brand such as eVGA or XFX.

Don't be fooled by the 512MB of RAM for that 7600GS you linked to, it is not so good. For starters, it is GDDR2 instead of GDDR3. But more importantly, the 7600 series only supports a 128-bit memory interface. Having 512MB of RAM and a 128-bit memory interface is like trying to get a large tank of water out of a small pin-hole!!

First of all, are you planning to use your PC mainly for gaming? Do you want a gaming video card??

If you are interested in the GeForce 7600 series, I am currently using THIS ONE, and it is pretty OK for the gaming I do (since at that time, I could not push my budget for a 7900GS...:(). This is the XFX GeForce 7600GT "XXX-Edition", which means it's overclocked past nVidia's reference design.

Another great one would be THIS ONE. It is the eVGA GeForce 7600GT KO, which is also overclocked.

These would be superb choices fitting your budget of $150.

As for your power supply in that link provided, a few things...

The amps on the two +12V rails are good. Heck, dual 18A rails are amazing!!

But the bad part is the wattage. A mere 300 watts is barely cutting it these days for any system.

In addtion, for every model in the 7600 series, there is a label indicating that they recommend a minimum of a 350-Watt PSU for one of their video cards in a single-card config, and at least 450-Watts for SLI dual-video card config.

You will very likely need to replace that PSU for a graphics upgrade.

Hope I helped!:)

Grafficks said:
You should up the video card from a 7600GS to a 7600GT, from a brand such as eVGA or XFX.

Don't be fooled by the 512MB of RAM for that 7600GS you linked to, it is not so good. For starters, it is GDDR2 instead of GDDR3. But more importantly, the 7600 series only supports a 128-bit memory interface. Having 512MB of RAM and a 128-bit memory interface is like trying to get a large tank of water out of a small pin-hole!!

First of all, are you planning to use your PC mainly for gaming? Do you want a gaming video card??

If you are interested in the GeForce 7600 series, I am currently using THIS ONE, and it is pretty OK for the gaming I do (since at that time, I could not push my budget for a 7900GS...:(). This is the XFX GeForce 7600GT "XXX-Edition", which means it's overclocked past nVidia's reference design.

Another great one would be THIS ONE. It is the eVGA GeForce 7600GT KO, which is also overclocked.

These would be superb choices fitting your budget of $150.

As for your power supply in that link provided, a few things...

The amps on the two +12V rails are good. Heck, dual 18A rails are amazing!!

But the bad part is the wattage. A mere 300 watts is barely cutting it these days for any system.

In addtion, for every model in the 7600 series, there is a label indicating that they recommend a minimum of a 350-Watt PSU for one of their video cards in a single-card config, and at least 450-Watts for SLI dual-video card config.

You will very likely need to replace that PSU for a graphics upgrade.

Hope I helped!:)

Yes I plan on using this card for gaming, and thank you for your help. I dont really require the 7600, it just happened to be the only one i found that had 512mb of memory in my budget at the time. I was hoping you would not suggest a psu upgrade, I have horrible luck with that. (I've ordered around 5 for my previous computer, none of them fit when the seller said it would. ><)

Also, a PSU upgrade would push the budget. Meaning I would probably pay 50$ for a PSU, and 100$ for a graphics card that doesn't fully utilize the PSU.

However, thanks for all your help. :)

EDIT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150208 If i managed to push my budget that far, would this be a good card? it has GDDR3, 256bit memory interface, and 256mb of ram. However since it doesn't require a PSU i'm assuming there is a catch? (Usually is, >< lol)

LoL timeparadox, now it seems that the only PSU you ever recommend is that OCZ GameXStream 700W. ;)

That 7900GS is a good chioce. However, if you want a 7900GS, I think you should get THIS ONE instead. It is also a 7900GS, and it's the same price, but this version is overclocked by eVGA to 500/1380. The one you linked to is using nVidia's 7900GS reference design @ 450/1320. But keep in mind you still need to get a new PSU.

However, according to this (posted by raybay):

Don't listen to people who poo poo the Gateway Deltal PSU. It is designed for that box.

and this, posted by delfofthebla:

I have horrible luck with that. (I've ordered around 5 for my previous computer, none of them fit when the seller said it would

then I am assuming that your computer needs the custom PSU that came with it when you bought it...right??

It needs a PSU with a custom form factor designed by the manufacturer to fit that case, which is why your previous PSU's did not fit.

What is the name (manufacturer and model) of your computer?

Grafficks said:
LoL timeparadox, now it seems that the only PSU you ever recommend is that OCZ GameXStream 700W. ;)

That 7900GS is a good chioce. However, if you want a 7900GS, I think you should get THIS ONE instead. It is also a 7900GS, and it's the same price, but this version is overclocked by eVGA to 500/1380. The one you linked to is using nVidia's 7900GS reference design @ 450/1320. But keep in mind you still need to get a new PSU.

However, according to this (posted by raybay):

and this, posted by delfofthebla:

then I am assuming that your computer needs the custom PSU that came with it when you bought it...right??

It needs a PSU with a custom form factor designed by the manufacturer to fit that case, which is why your previous PSU's did not fit.

What is the name (manufacturer and model) of your computer?

I have a Gateway DX210X, thanks for the link. The only reason i chose that card was because it said it did NOT require a psu. Is that wrong?

I think that they assume you will alreay have something like a 450watt PSU. I'm not sure that your PSU would last very long with that much load.

Boogityboo04 said:
I think that they assume you will alreay have something like a 450watt PSU. I'm not sure that your PSU would last very long with that much load.

It wouldn't, the minimum requirement for a 7600 is between 400-450 Watts, which would not be safe to put into a 300 watt system, although he does have a lot of amperage in his system, but still.

According to several of my Google results, the Gateway DX210X is a "6-bay uBTX Chassis", which means the case is "uBTX" form factor.

So just make sure you find a PSU that for-sure fits in your case.

I'm pretty sure TimeParadox was joking when he said 5 watts, exaggerating to get the point across, which is the reason for the ";)" being there.....

delfofthebla said:
The only reason i chose that card was because it said it did NOT require a psu. Is that wrong?

Though the 7900GS in that link did not specify the amount of watts it needs in the power supply, it doesn't mean it's not there. A 7900GS would need at least 400-450 watts in a PSU. Plus, it would be illogical that a 7900 would require less power than a 7600.

We'll need someone else to link to a PSU for you, I don't know which one will fit your case.

When you get a PSU, you may have to downgrade your video card to a 7600GS in order to fit your tight $150 budget. Something like THIS or THIS in addition to the purchase of your PSU will be just about $150.

However, if you can extend your budget to about $200, then this will not be necessary, and you can get one of the 7600GT cards I linked to before.

Best of luck :)

Grafficks said:
According to several of my Google results, the Gateway DX210X is a "6-bay uBTX Chassis", which means the case is "uBTX" form factor.

So just make sure you find a PSU that for-sure fits in your case.

I'm pretty sure TimeParadox was joking when he said 5 watts, exaggerating to get the point across, which is the reason for the ";)" being there.....

Though the 7900GS in that link did not specify the amount of watts it needs in the power supply, it doesn't mean it's not there. A 7900GS would need at least 400-450 watts in a PSU. Plus, it would be illogical that a 7900 would require less power than a 7600.

We'll need someone else to link to a PSU for you, I don't know which one will fit your case.

When you get a PSU, you may have to downgrade your video card to a 7600GS in order to fit your tight $150 budget. Something like THIS or THIS in addition to the purchase of your PSU will be just about $150.

However, if you can extend your budget to about $200, then this will not be necessary, and you can get one of the 7600GT cards I linked to before.

Best of luck :)

Well the 150$ budget would include the PSU, so what im going to have to do is buy a new PSU that will fit my case. Then in a couple months buy the new video card ><. Thanks for all ur help :D

lol and that would get you SO many ladies :p They must be like killing each other to have a shot at you :p

I only know one girl who gives a damn about comps and games (besides myspace) and shes a weed addict. So I never talk to her.

I hate MySpace!

If I was In Cryodiil, Tamriel ( The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion just incase you dont know ;) ) I would throw the creators of MySpace into the gates of hell and close the gates! :haha:

Totally agreed there.

Me: Hey Tom, see that huge evil looking gate?
Tom: Where?
Me: There see?
TES4_Oblivion_Gate03.jpg

Tom: Yes what about it?
Me: Go in there, theres lots of money and chicks.
Tom: REALLY?? THANKYOU MAN I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!111!!111one
Me: Ok, calm down. Just slowly back away from me and go through that thing.

EDIT: Ok, we are REALLY hijacking this thread. Now for something that MIGHT be SLIGHTLY useful. If you are going to get a new videocard, pretty much no matter which one you get, you should get a new PSU. From a good brand like Fortron, PCP&C, Antec, Enermax, Corsair, OCZ, etc.

Yes, that was very off topic.

However, in my last post on this thread (before the talk about getting the ladies started...) there is one thing that is unanswered and buried.

To be exact (lol I'm bored:D), it's right here:

Grafficks said:

I asked for someone else to come in and recommend a PSU, since I do not know of a "uBTX" PSU. Keep in mind that any new PSU must fit delfofthebla's Gateway DX210X uBTX case.

Now, let's continue with that...

Mostly agree, but Corsair and OCZ are just rebadged cheapos with no special technology... just cheap Chinese power supplies highly promoted by sales whizzes to appear to be special. They are not. They work ok, but they are NOT in the same league with PCP&C, or Antec.

Actualy... Corsair / OCZ are probably the best brand for RAM besides Kingston

But what are you talking about when you say Corsair and OCZ?

The importance of a power supply is in the quality of the build, almost entirely, and has little to do with the wattage, the rails, or other aspects. On some equipment you do need higher wattage... 450 watts in some 600 watts in a few others. But a quality built 300 watts power supply will do the job.
Unfortunately, the marketing ploys of these companies has created an artificial need for higher wattage, so fewer companies are interested in making a quality 300 watt machine with quality components.
Corsair is good memory. Some few modules are among the best. Corsair is merely Samsung memory rebadged... almost all of it. Others are made for Samsung by other memory companies then have the Corsair name slathered all over the modules.
Corsair does not make most of its Corsair power supplies. They are made in China by the same company that makes Delta and several other brands.
OCZ is an actually company, based in Canada, as OCZ Technologies. It was formed in August 2000, and they do make SOME memory there, but not much. OCZ was created from whole cloth by Oki Electric Industries of Shanghai, Shanghai Longiing Microelectronics Co., Ltd, Olympus Optical, and three other companies all owned under the same umbrella. OCZ is a marketing company who likes to say they are Canadian, but they are really an Asian firm that sells whatever is made by a large number of companies in Korea, China, Shangai, and India.
You should think of them both as marketing - advertising companies with few engineers... the technology comes from elsewhere.
Their plan is to make a few great products that get great reviews, so they can use that "quality branding" as a tool to spread the word on other producsts, many of which are junk. Most of their power supplies are no better than Delta, PowerMax, Sparkle, and many others. If you take one apart, you find the same components as many other cheap cheap power supplies... you just pay a lot more for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back