Would you buy this? (an upgrade for my kids PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirock

Asus K8S-MX SiS760GX w/Audio, Video, LAN, SATA-RAID, DDR400 (Socket 754) $79.95 Cnd (~0.8 US)

AMD Sempron 2600+ (1.60 GHz, Socket 754) 128k L2 Cache, AMD64 Support (Retail) $78.95 Cnd

What I'm thinking is that I can use the PCI-E/AGP feature because they now have a GeForce FX5200 and I have a 6600GT PCI-E. I want to upgrade in about 6-8 months to a 7800GT. So for now they can have the above upgrade with the 5200 and when I upgrade they can have my 6600GT PCI-E.

currently their mobo is a ASUS A7A266 with a Athlon (circa:2001) Not much I can do with this. It's AGPX4 socket A.

My only other idea was: ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 PCI-E/AGP.
BUT!!!! now I need a 939 CPU....cash cash cash. Sempron 3000 =$194 Cnd.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers

Sorry but I got no response so this is a selfish bump.
Does this look like a reasonable option or does someone have a much better idea. :wave:

The main thing that you have to ask yourself is what are my kids going to be doing on this and is it worth the money to buy top of the line or cheap so that they can play normal games and not the intensive 3d games that are out on the market today for the novice and advanced gamers.. after you get that in mind then you can buy the mother board and the memory as well as the video card that they will need. so as far as the specs you listed and are they ok then i would have to say let us know what they plan on doing with it and then we can answer that

I suggest a Biostar T-Force6100-754. On board video is better than a fx5200, and it has a PCI-express x16 slot. And it's $10 less. I have the T-Force6100-939 version and also a AsRock DualSATA2, the Biostar is MUCH better.

Hi guys thanks for the response.

My main goal was just to upgrade their PC from the Athlon Model 4 CPU and the A7A266 mobo with as little money as possible, lets say $100 mobo and $100 CPU canuck bucks. (this is appr 0.8 X 200= $160US).

Then train of thought goes to my upgradable ( oh a baby it will be) 6600GT PCI-E. So that would require a PCI-E mobo so I could give the kids my old 6600GT, but what to do with FX5200 (not even 1yr old). So then what if AGP and PCI-E...see where this was going?

BUT Mirob makes good point. Maybe just buy a PCI-E with on board video for now (and prob better then the 5200 anyway). Hmmmm, I like that. :D

OK this leads me down a whole new train of thought: on brd video with PCI-E and prob 939 AMD64 compatable.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back