WOW causing 100% CPU usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a emachines comp that the motherboard went toast on me and i had a new one installed with a new cpu. WOW on caused about 35 percent cpu usage with my athlon yet its causing 100% on my intel which is higher end cpu. Heres the speces for before the crash and after the crash, can someone help me out plz.

Before my motherboard fried i had a

AMD athlon xp 180O
1 gig of ram
unknown motherboard
Geforce FX 5200 128mb

With the new motherboard and proccesor
Motherboard is a biostar p4m80-m4
PCU is a intel 2.5 ghz
Same graphics card
same ram

Now when i was playing the game i was getting about 10 fps with sound but when i turned off the sound i got 20 to 30 fps but this did not resolve my cpu usage issue. And as i said before i didnt have this problem with my athlon proccesor

An athlon XP 1800 processor is really ancient. I have a 3200 XP processor on my desktop. Also a 5200 AGP card is also old. No wonder you have a slow system.

You probably have onboard sound, which explains the jump in FPS when you "turned off" the sound. Alternatively, it wouldn't hurt to check for any spyware/trojans.
@Tedster, the problems are on the new P4 machine, not on the old Athlon XP one. Performance should surely be better.

Deep Left Field....

I had an experience recently where "Intel Desktop Utilities" (Intel's "Speed Fan") was driving a new system into 100% CPU usage. This thing should be using 3% CPU tops! I had installed Windows MCE unto a WD250GB SATA 2 drive. Then, I decided to buy a 80GB Seagate for the OS only. I wiped to WD and installed the same OS onto the Seagate. Then I reinstalled IDU. This time it worked perfectly.Then I reformatted the WD with Windows, (full format, not the quickie). I then ran disk check on it. Windows suggested that it had errors and it offered to fix it.

So, this does sort of parallel your situation you're describing, new build and all. Was it a bad install of Windows or were the disk errors causing this? Still dunno! But it certainly is something you might consider.

I also should have mentioned that I tried 2 different versions of the IDU, and multiple reinstalls.

(Alert,alert, stupid question coming)! I'm not a gamer so, how hard is WOW to run?

Shaw's question was a good one, P4 or Celeron. Still with a separate graphics card, even a Cele shouldn't peg the needle all the time. Did we reset the graphics card to the same resolution and whatnot as the old box?

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask, were the correct drivers for the video card installed?

Did you.......?

Dear Roughneckin, your post says "I had a new one installed". If that's what you meant, shouldn't you contact the tech who installed it? He (or she) might have some insight.

Suggestion

Uninstall WoW.....And get on with your life :D

If that isnt an alternative, Mictlantecuhtli may be onto somthing about the chipset driver not being installed, download the right driver from Intel or whoever manufactured your board.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
You probably have onboard sound, which explains the jump in FPS when you "turned off" the sound. Alternatively, it wouldn't hurt to check for any spyware/trojans.
@Tedster, the problems are on the new P4 machine, not on the old Athlon XP one. Performance should surely be better.
P4s are getting a little long in the tooth too.

The intel is a celeron prossecor and yes i did have it installed by a comp place but the awnser theyre giving me just doesnt sound right considering the fact that it worked perfectly before my motherboard crashed. Also all the graphics card settings are exactly the same as they were before. I already took this to the guy that installed my motherboard once and we even put in a Geforce 7600 and the results were still the same. So im sure that its not that my graphics card is old but rather that some settings are screwed up that I or the installer doesnt know how to fix. Thanks for everyones help.

Let' Start Here....

Is WOW the only game or program you've had trouble with?

Are the correct graphics drivers installed?

Is the correct audio driver installed

Sometimes there's a chipset identification utility that needs to be installed.

Your Celeron should be able to run many, but not all games, especially when combined with a fairly decent video card.

What exactly are the system requirements (minimum) for WOW?

Ever seen the Southpark episode "make love NOT warcraft"?
SO FUNNY!
If you could put in a Pentium 4 (LGA 775) 3.8 GHz processor instead of your other processor. The board supports front bus speeds of 800 MHz!
You should get another GPU!

It's probably chipset drivers. WoW's minimum requirements are pretty low so the Celly should run it quite well. If they threw in a 7600 and the results were the same, chances are your mobo's AGP slot is screwed. Have you tried re-installing the game though?

It sounds more like something running in the background causing a spike in your cpu usage. Check and see through task manager to see which programs are taking a lot of cpu cycles. Also if your running onboard sound, it helps to get a good quality dedicated sound card to boost your performance. Not by much but it would help a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back