WOW. Graphics card advice required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieman

i know this is probably in the wrong channel but PLEASE help me
all i need to know is if i can download a better video card digitaly.

No, a video card is a physical piece of kit. You would need to buy a new card in order to upgrade.

All you can do for your current video card is make sure you have the latest drivers/DirectX etc.

Regards Howard :)

the reason i need to know is because i have the game WoW (if you are not familiar it is World of Warcraft) and it keeps saying that my video card is not supported by the game and i need one with dual TMU and i have looked on NVidia but i cant find the 61.77 drivers at all can you help me?

Download and run Everest Home (it is free):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Once you download it, click on it and let it install and then run it from the icon on your desktop and then click on 'Computer' then on 'Summary', then go to the VERY top of the screen and click on 'report', then 'quick report-summary' and then 'plain text' and save it then go to C:/programs/lavalys and open that folder then open Everest Home sub-folder and then reports sub-folder and click on the report.

This will open it in a text editor (probably Notepad) and then use your mouse to highlight ALL the debug stuff at the bottom of the report and delete it and then save that file again and then copy and paste it to here.

Someone will have a look and see if there are better drivers for you.

:)

thanks howard it really helped alot

reguards
Pieman

ok i am done with the 61.77 thingy now i am working on the directx 9.0c
thanks alot howard

with pie,
Pieman

It didn't work my game STILL dosent work plz help me because i have no clue what to do now

with pie
Pieman

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer PREFERRE-C5C71A
Generator Owner
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2007-06-04
Time 21:16

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Computer Name PREFERRE-C5C71A
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
User Name Owner

Motherboard:
BIOS Type Award (02/09/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3200+
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8378A UniChrome KM400A
Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X-LA (Kelut) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394)
System Memory 448 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)

Display:
3D Accelerator VIA/S3 UniChrome
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (133936)
Video Adapter VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP (64 MB)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage:
Disk Drive SAMSUNG SP1604N (160 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
Optical Drive _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD (DVD:8x/4x/12x, CD:32x/24x/40x DVD+RW)
Optical Drive ASUS CD-S480/AH (48x CD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 152617 MB (138686 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
Modem Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
Network Adapter ARRIS TOUCHSTONE DEVICE (209.33.57.230)
Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Peripherals:
Printer Acrobat PDFWriter
Printer HP DeskJet 895Cxi
USB Device ARRIS TOUCHSTONE DEVICE
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
USB Device USB Printing Support
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host
Controller
Monitor TVT0055: Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]

ok those are my cpu specs please respond asap thanks

with Pie
Pieman

You have onboard graphics that doesn`t support the game. You need to buy an AGP graphics card and install it in your system. I don`t do any gaming myself, so other members will be able to advise you better on which card to get.

howard_hopkinso said:
You have onboard graphics that doesn`t support the game. You need to buy an AGP graphics card and install it in your system. I don`t do any gaming myself, so other members will be able to advise you better on which card to get.

when you say buy do you mean one of those really expensive things?The material not digital empty my fat wallet cards?

No, not all AGP cards are expensive. It really depends on what games you`re planning on playing as to what card you buy. Like I said, other members will be able to advise you better than I can.

EDIT: I have changed your thread title to something a little more appropriate. ;)

thanks man i owe ya i would still be searching google for hours if it wasnt for ya.

With a LOT of thanks
Pieman

You should have 1 spare AGP port on your motherboard. So you are looking for an AGP video card.

Now, the questions you should ask yourself is this:
How much money do i want to spend?
How much quality (visually) do i want to see?

For ok gaming experience, a 128mb card should suffice, 256mb is recommended and so on with better cards (not necessarily due to its onboard ram).. of course, like anything, better = $$$ so you'll need to find a balance to your liking, and prices are, well depending on your locale.. which we don't know as well.

Now for some of your own homework:
Google for AGP cards and ATI and nVidia and research on pc magazines, tomshardware.com etc to get yourself familiar with some background knowledge on how it works, what tech words means and do (like vram, pipes etc), whats good or not.

if you live in the US, www.newegg.com is a good place to start shopping, australians goto www.staticice.com.au to find cheapest shops (but its product specific) and don't forget other shops like best buys, tigerdirect, msy etc. Don't forget to read reviews on the cards your interested in.

Post back on what cards you like after looking around (with links please), your budget, where you live as well as your complete specs on your pc, including the PSU. PSU info you can find out by reading my faq linked below.

What is your budget? Also, we need to make sure your power supply unit (PSU) is up to the job of powering a new video card. Check out my guide located below in my signature and follow step 3. Tell us the wattage and amperage of the PSU.

Well all i know about my cpu is 7 posts up check there.

and my budget is 100 dollars tops preferabley cheaper.

ummmmmmmmmm so where exatctly do i find this "PSU" of which you speak for i have gotten off my lazy behind and looked for it and i couldn't find it...
so just so next time i get up...WHERE IS IT?

no hard feelings just a little grumpy...

The PSU is usually located on the inside of your case where you plug in the power cord.

to look at the ratings of your power supply you need to open up the side of your computer by undoing some screws on the back, usually two.

the power supply will be at the top of the case at the back, and like cfitzarl said it's what you plug the power cable into.

on one of the sides it will have a sticker like the one on here with lots of numbers on it and stuff like the brand and model name/number.

what we need to know is how many amps (e.g. 10A) it says for the +12V lines and the overall power (e.g. 400W) of the power supply.

before opening up your case always turn your pc off and unplug it from the mains power. trust me, i learnt the hard way :blush:

Go this this website:
www.systemrequirementslab.com and run the test for World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade ( Even if you don't plan on getting the expansion pack it's good to check it because some updates might add better graphics or something. )

I checked it and it says you need:

64mb VRAM ( videoRAM )
A videocard that supports 2.0 Pixel shader or better

I checked your budget and this is one of the better AGP videocards I found within your budget: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130083

I had this one and it's very good, it ran Oblivion on Medium-high, WoW on max, Battlefield 2 on high so it's good for what you plan on playing :)

There may be betters so look around befor you get the one I linked :D

-Zero

that would be a very good card for you to get, i have a BFG 6800 GS OC and it is very, very good, in my opinion anyway :D

please tell us the ratings on your power supply though because you need a fairly good one to power the geforce 6800

TimeParadoX said:
I checked it and it says you need:

64mb VRAM ( videoRAM )
A videocard that supports 2.0 Pixel shader or better
Then it is wrong. You can disable pixel shaders in WoW completely from video settings.

The game installation probably mandates it; although I'm not sure since I've never played the game myself :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back