WOW or Guild Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been many disagreements in the fight between which of these two Massive Multi-player Online Role Playing Games (MMORPG).

Below it would be great to state which game you think is better and give a good description pertaining to why you think it is better.

These are my comments on the games:

If you are new to MMORPG's then Guild Wars is probably going to be the right game for you. It is simple. There is NO monthly fee at all. The PVP system (Plaver vs. Player combat) is very organized and quite fun. And you have loads of classes to choose from. The System Requirements are also very ease to cover. But there are some cons to Guild Wars too. The game cap (highest level) is only 20. The variety of armor, weapons, and professions are very little. Customization is also not as good. You can only have a party of 5 in the game and the game is based on parties in order to do quests.

Now if you enjoy MMO's and really want a good game then World of Warcraft is just for you. You have vast amounts of weapons, armor, and professions. The game cap is 70 (if you get the Burning Crusade expansion, if not it is 60). There are many different quests to choose from. Character customization is very good. The cons of WOW are that you have a monthly fee of $15 a month. You have to have a really strong computer to support the system requirements. You have to put a lot of time into the game to raise levels and what not.

To wrap things up about the differences, I would say that the two most important factors are time and money. If you are not someone who plays all day long and doesn't plan paying for a monthly fee, Guild Wars is a good game for you. If you plan on playing a game that requires to put a lot of time into and having to pay a decent fine, then World of Warcraft is for you, buddy.

P.S. RUNESCAPE DOESN'T STAND A CHANCE! :dead:

I think you're wrong about the system requirements. I'd say it's the other way around. Last I checked, Guild Wars is more graphically demanding than WoW or The Burning Crusade Expansion. Blizzard games rarely try to be cutting edge with gameplay graphics, focussing more on tight mechanics and good balance.

I also think your little reviews leave out a lot of important information. I've played both games, and I think this is a really integral distinction:

GW gameplay likens a little more to the old school point-and-click RPGs like Baldur's Gate. In some ways it plays kind of like an RTS as well. Playing strategy seemed to be very focussed on macro-level maneuvres. My personal experience was that it was a slower-paced game, albeit with less overall content meaning you get to the "end" quicker.

WoW on the other hand plays more like a first or third person shooter. Playing skill is largely based around having adept control of all your character's actions - down to little details like jumping, (which you can't do in GW) and controlling how fast the model turns. I played WoW a lot more than GW because I really enjoyed the fast-paced, adrenaline-packed playstyle based on reflex and knowing exactly how to handle something in a split second.

Also, your post makes it seem like paying for WoW is a big drawback. People new to MMOs should realize that paying a monthly/yearly fee is the norm with this genre, and GW is the exception.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

db3apex said:
The game cap (highest level) is only 20.
Should it be 70 then? Different games, different player levels.

You can only have a party of 5 in the game and the game is based on parties in order to do quests.
Incorrect - the maximum people in your party varies from two to eight, depending on how far you are in the game.

You have to put a lot of time into the game to raise levels and what not.
I guess so, I've played WoW for about 120 hours total now (not in a row), and I'm at level 27. Looks like it'll be a while until 70.

P.S. It seems we only get these WoW vs. GW threads, but don't forget that there are a lot of other MMORPGs out there.

I just think that you would have to be a really hardcore MMORPG player to be playing WOW, because I have read a lot of other reports and forums and it has said that WOW was the better game, but can be very time consuming if you want to get far in the game.

I just ask myself and I getting my money's worth for WOW.

My answer to that would be a shy yes, because WOW has very good graphics and gameplay and it is a vast world.

But I am not someone who plays video games and crap 24/7 because I am not interested in staring a CPU screen forever and I do a lot of activities like sports and I am heading into highschool and I plan to do well and not waste my time.

Overall, I would agree that WOW is the better... but Guild Wars is still a good MMO. The biggie is that if you have never experienced playing WOW before and start to play GW, then it is not like you will get disinterested in GW anyway... which is a good thing, because a game is suppossed to be entertaining.

you are very right about how there are other MMO's out in the world besides Guild Wars and World of Warcraft and I am glad you brought that up

Final Fantasy and Lineage2 are supposed to be two good games too...

Mictlantecuhtli said:
I guess so, I've played WoW for about 120 hours total now (not in a row), and I'm at level 27. Looks like it'll be a while until 70.

Yea.. thats another point that I stated... you need the TIME!

I never interested in WoW when it first got released. Don't feel like wasting my time grinding/fed ex just to hit lvl 70 with $15 bills coming to my mail every month.

There are dozen of $5 a month fee or free MMO out there i know that offer faction PVP. Enemy base raid or taking over territory MMO's.

Lineage 2 and WoW are similar. Both has to do with minor social + grind fest.
You're lying to yourself if you pay $15 a month and claim the game is fun just doing fed ex quest and hitting the same mob a zillion time at different place.

GW was refreshing and fun when i first got the game (trying different builds etc) I remember nobody know how counter a paladin with his healing hand back then, and everyone whine about W.M is way to powerful on every GW forums. Eventually the game get boring once you unlock/test all the skills. PVP maps get repetitive and you'll see the same builds that people copy you and used it. GW developers team finally favor the PVE crowds and abandon the PVP community. The game end up being dead boring with so many loyal players moving and beta testing the new game call Fury.

In conclusion: I want a game that offer me instant PVP anytime, any place I want in a PVP ONLY zone without stupid repetitive, fed ex grind. I think War Hammer Online looks promising. I'll give that game a swirl for 1-2 month when its release. There are also dozen of FPS i want to get my hand on as well which has to do with PVP (TF2 or Quake Wars), but thats other game genre.

Why thank you for linking to one of my most shameful performances AtK SpAdE! I do apologize everyone for my actions in that thread. Most of the flaming was my fault and I don't think I'm like that very often (although that's for you, the TS community to decide). But because of that thread I won't get involved in this one. GW = WoW. WoW = GW. Different people like different games. Face it.

Billion said:
I think you're wrong about the system requirements. I'd say it's the other way around. Last I checked, Guild Wars is more graphically demanding than WoW or The Burning Crusade Expansion. Blizzard games rarely try to be cutting edge with gameplay graphics, focussing more on tight mechanics and good balance.

I also think your little reviews leave out a lot of important information. I've played both games, and I think this is a really integral distinction:

GW gameplay likens a little more to the old school point-and-click RPGs like Baldur's Gate. In some ways it plays kind of like an RTS as well. Playing strategy seemed to be very focussed on macro-level maneuvres. My personal experience was that it was a slower-paced game, albeit with less overall content meaning you get to the "end" quicker.

WoW on the other hand plays more like a first or third person shooter. Playing skill is largely based around having adept control of all your character's actions - down to little details like jumping, (which you can't do in GW) and controlling how fast the model turns. I played WoW a lot more than GW because I really enjoyed the fast-paced, adrenaline-packed playstyle based on reflex and knowing exactly how to handle something in a split second.

Also, your post makes it seem like paying for WoW is a big drawback. People new to MMOs should realize that paying a monthly/yearly fee is the norm with this genre, and GW is the exception.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

i agree. i have both wow and gw, even though wow is much "funner", Guild Wars is a very detailed game. Something thats wierd is that Gw is much faster when installing than wow even though it has more quality. You can actually see the Gw Characters faces like u are looking at a real pic. even the armor is very detailed.

thats all i have to say.

i prefer gw

i prefer gw...bc it looks NICER...and i don't have to pay for it each month...n it's more simple..at least to me...WoW has too much going on with the skill sets etc...waiting for gw2 to come out...

I've always felt like WoW was something you could never get bored with...
GuildWars s just some corny game that has to high system requirments

WoW ftw!

judicious said:
i prefer gw...bc it looks NICER...and i don't have to pay for it each month...n it's more simple..at least to me...WoW has too much going on with the skill sets etc...waiting for gw2 to come out...

two words: F YOU!

jk

WoW is ftl people like lose their lives to it and people who play it should gtfo

now for guildwars.... i see it as a simple game with nice grphx suitable for ppl who dont wanna lose there life..

??guess so, I've played WoW for about 120 hours total now (not in a row), and I'm at level 27. Looks like it'll be a while until 70.??

LOL i played wow when it came out at first for 60 hrs and i got to lvl 60
u just r nooby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back