TechSpot

Wre54g - stronger signal slower performance

By richmarotta1
Jan 7, 2008
  1. I have successfully connected a wre54g range expander to my secure network. The signal stregnth is greater on my laptop but the browser speed is much slower. Any ideas?

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,449   +324

there's a small icon (two monitors) in the system tray; hold the mouse over it
    and it will report the connection speed. post back the data

3. rf6647

rf6647 TS Maniac Posts: 931

Also confirm that the laptop appears of the client table for the wre54g. The wre54g could broadcast the ssid, but not accept traffic. Hence the connection is still being carried elsewhere in the network.

4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,686   +86

Wireless nic card should have settings you can tweak it under advance to help make the speed faster. You can narrow the beam signal to the laptop.

5. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,714

The last time I came across this problem was when a Linksys range extender was running with a different make of wireless transmitter and the delays were caused by the security settings. This was confirmed by turning off wireless security for a short while to test the theory. The fix - get a Linksys wireless router and follow the setup instructions to the letter.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.