Writing faster than 4x on a 4x CD-rw disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Staff
I'm asking this question becuase:
  1. I'm a cheap skate
  2. Just so I can say, "I can do this" one day[/list=1]

Okay, the question is - How do I write faster than 4x on a 4x CD-rw disc? I realize the media is only rated for 4x, but in all likelyhood, it is capable of being rewritten faster than this.

The problem is, Nero "auto detects" the CD-speed and limits my burning to 4x while my burner is capable of 10x.

Are there any programs or tweaks that can bypass this safety feature?

Well, as I've mentioned to you before Rick, the fastest CDRW discs that I can find locally are 4x, but when I set Nero to MAX speed, it writes to them at 8x. My drive is 24/10/40, as you probably already know. I've also had 16x CDR discs that burn at 20x, but not very often. I just figured that the speed indicator was lying to me, but it seems they are burning faster than they are rated.

I wish I had the same luck as you. For example, I just burned a 4x disc using "Maximum speed" in a little under 20 minutes.. Hardly 8x or anything in between. :(

Have you tried just setting it to a higher speed like 8x. I just noticed that sometimes it gives me different settings. What I mean is that sometimes the MAX setting is gone and sometimes it is there. try unchecking "determine maximum speed" don't know if it will help though, sometimes I check it, sometimes I don't.

CDs have ATIP information field, which contains (at least) the following:
- The capacity of the CD-R
- The manufacturer of the CD-R
- The type of the CD-R (eg. Audio only)
- Supported writing speeds
- Absolute lead-in time
- Last possible address where data can be written

Most, if not all, cd-burning apps check this and they won't allow recording faster than ATIP says. Here's what I get from a TDK CD/RW with cdrecord 1.9:

Cdrecord 1.9 (i586-pc-none) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jrg Schilling
scsidev: '9,1,0'
scsibus: 9 target: 1 lun: 0
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info : 'RICOH '
Identifikation : 'CD-R/RW MP7060A '
Revision : '1.70'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : SWABAUDIO
ATIP info from disk:
Indicated writing power: 5
Reference speed: 2
Is not unrestricted
Is erasable
ATIP start of lead in: -11615 (97:27/10)
ATIP start of lead out: 335925 (74:41/00)
speed low: 0 speed high: 4
power mult factor: 4 5
recommended erase/write power: 3
A2 values: 00 00 00
Disk type: Phase change
Manuf. index: 18
Manufacturer: Plasmon Data systems Ltd.

So, I can't write faster than 4x to that either :)

Hmm, well back to my original assumption that Nero is lying to me, but it does seem that those 4x are getting done much sooner than they used to on my old 8/4/32.

That's a shame... :(

Thanks for the info though, Mic (Mind if I call you that? LoL). You are simply a plethora of knowledge.

I've never had luck with burning CDRWs at faster than their rated speed. I have some CDRWs that dont' have a rating on them but I can't get them to burn faster than 2x. But I had some old RCA 2x CDRs that I burned successfully in my parents 24x burner at 24x.

I don't have a problem burning cd's at faster than their rated speeds. I just can't burn CD-RW's faster than their rated speed. But regular ones I can get to go faster. I dont' know how or why, but I can.........:confused:

I burned some old CDs (totally blank, but rated for 2x (used to have the box)) that were rated for 2x at 4x, but then after the burn, although I could see the contents of the CD, it took it EXTREMELY long to display the contents of any directory, and copying files from the CD was extremely slow. It took about 2 minutes for a 1kb text file to open, and after about an hour wait the progress bar was 1/2 way finished with a 2mb file I was copying.

The data was "there" it seemed, but all the cds like that I burned at 4x all ended up like that.

Strangeness.

Wish we could send the old pos cds back to thier manufacturers for newer faster ones. Nobody wants the slow *** coasters. LOL

I think its possible. I have the same experience with some of you guys. I could still remember the first CD-R my CD-writter burned was a 10x Sony CD and at 16x.

I think its possible. I have the same experience with some of you guys. I could still remember the first CD-R my CD-writter burned was a 10x Sony CD and at 16x.

Yeah, I did some more research about this and it seems not all CD-R's contain ATIP info field (like some cheap ones), so it's possible to write at whatever speed the drive supports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back