Wrong memory?

By toddnbecka
Feb 16, 2007
  1. ambivolent

ambivolent TS Rookie Posts: 67

sounds like bad ram to me.

I have no way of testing these, so they are being sold AS IS and UNTESTED. They may not work - there is no guarantee of these working,

beware of that line in any ebay ad!
  2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka TS Rookie Topic Starter

After doing some more research, I think the problem is incompatability with my chipset (Intel 865).
  3. ambivolent

i just checked intels site and according to their page the 865 chipset supports dual channel ddr400 memory. so it dosent sound like a compatibility problem
  4. toddnbecka

High or low density?
  5. ambivolent

check out that link it explains the ram compatibility of your chipset, from what i gather that ram should be working, i still thank the seller sold you shoddy ram i did find negative feedback form a buyer of memory on the 15th of this month form the same seller
  6. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

Some brand name computer companies pick a manufacturor that make their memory low-density (for instance, eMachines does this), although I am not sure about Dell, since all companies are different. You might have an incompatible memory type (High Density in a Low Density Motherboard, or just an incompatible brand or model number. Try another memory stick in the motherboard. Also, what BIOS do you have (if you know), and what does the noise sound like? How many beeps; long or short?
  7. toddnbecka

Long beeps, they keep going until the memory stick is removed. I also tried leaving one 256k stick in place, and adding a 1024k stick in the second slot. The system booted up, but only showed 256k. It ran really slow on the single usable stick. Where would I find the BIOS info?
  8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

1 person likes this.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.