Wtf is going on with my pc? cpu getting hot? serious lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
when I first start it up, it's fine for awhile.

after it's been running for awhile, it does weird stuff. I can't run Winamp at the same time Internet Explorer is going.. it makes the audio go crazy and in slow mo. Even the noise of the mouse click in windows sounds slow and echoing.

I have a home-built Asus P4P800E Deluxe MB, 3ghz P4 Prescott, 1 gig of Kingston RAM, Seagate 80gb SATA HD...in a case with three fans, one main fan, one exhaust and one intake which blows right on the processor fan's heatsink.

I have no idea what is going on.. but I am assuming the processor is shot. It only acts up when I'm running several apps.. or when using IE it makes the mouse movement slow and hesistant, and makes listening to music or watching video next to impossible. Almost like it's too much for the cpu to handle

any ideas? newbie to the board, btw.

Hello and welcome!

It can be hard to diagnose things like this, all you can do is troubleshoot everything until eventually you find out what is going on.

Have you recently made any changes to your system? Added any new software? Added any new hardware? If so, try a system "rollback" to the point where you know your system was working.

I would also do a thorough spyware/virus check (not a half-**** one, a FULL one) just to rule that out before going any further.

Is this a recent thing? If you computer worked before, do what DonNagual said and use System Restore to a previous date.

If you just built your computer then...
Check the temperature of your CPU and motherboard using PC probe. If it is because your CPU is too hot, then you probably didn't install the heatink+fan properly. Also check if all the fans in your system are spinning as they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back