TechSpot

WTF why are my fans blinking!!!!

By Hunger_force
Aug 18, 2005
  1. I just bought about 5 fans and mounted them in my case. They each are supposed to glow a bright green insted about 3 of the 5 started blinking. this would not be a big deal if my case was not completely clear acrylic. The weird thing is that when i restart my pc the dont blink until everything kicks in. Could this be a case of low power? Should i upgrade my psu? They are each the exact same model and say nothing about blinking on the cases.

2. tom_pearson

tom_pearson TS Rookie Posts: 103

I think you've probably answered the question yourself mate, what power rating is you PSU?

3. flashmonkey

flashmonkey TS Rookie Posts: 136

Are only the LED's blinking or is the fan slowing down also? Either way this is definately a power issue.

4. Hunger_force

Hunger_force TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 116

The blinking fans are moving at a slower speed than the others that aren't blinking.

5. flashmonkey

How big is your power supply (someone asked before)? Also make sure the fans are connected correctly.

6. Hunger_force

i just put in a 420w, my previous was a 300 and they continue to blink. They seem to be running at a much higher rpm. Im pretty sure they are all connected correctly so im offiicially lost as to what to do.

7. flashmonkey

Me too, but RAVE TO THE BLINKING LED'S!!! :bounce: :hotbounce :bounce: :hotbounce :bounce: :hotbounce

EDIT: Unfortunately you gotta open that link in IE

8. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,382

Howdy

How are the fans hooked up?
    Are they all on one power cord or
    sharing power with other devices?
    You may want to isolate them on power cord
    direct from psu....also, what brand psu did you get?

9. Hunger_force

Good Idea on the rave lol. My psu is a raidmax and im pretty sure they are a good brand.

10. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,851

Any type of sound detection in the fans? I had a cold cathode that did that, but it was total crap, and blinked to the sound of itself.

11. ck_computer

ck_computer TS Rookie

I think i read somewhere that modulated power supplies can cause blinking. Could this be the cause?

12. Eleventeen

Eleventeen TS Rookie Posts: 70

Well, intel board... , they have a setting in the bios under Fan control or Fan monitoring I forget the name but it has Fan in it :chef: . Just turn that to Disabled and everything should work good.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.