TechSpot

x300 problem

By powerslave_5th
Nov 5, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my PC has been crashing during games or 3d aplications with my ati radeon x300, and i noticed that is due to overheating of the card, what can i do to solve this overheating, please help, first i thought it was something with the drivers, but its because video card is overheating, please help me!!
    my system specs are P4 3 GHZ, 512 ram, 80 gb hd, windows xp pro
  2. X DarthMonkey X

X DarthMonkey X TS Rookie Posts: 164

how long have you been using the card? if you've been using it for a long time and this is a recent issue, then you can try the following:

-=Make sure the GPU fan and heatsink are clear of dust or other gunk.
    -=Make sure the GPU fan is turning when it's powered on.

or if you just got the card, try returning it or swapping it with a new one.
  3. powerslave_5th

powerslave_5th TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

the card is brand new or at least they told me that, the thing is that i bought my pc at a local computer shop, i told them everything i want it, so i guess is brand new, the pc is new, not even a week, the videocard doesnt have a fan, everything works correctly until i try to play a game, max payne 2 for example, so i have to clean it out? , what can i do to avoid this overheating?

thx in advance

:grinthumb
  4. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

That would be a good idea. Do you know what the temps are for the card under load?
  5. powerslave_5th

the temps are good, on the processor and motherboard, but the card is very hot, i dont know why, i will clean it with compressed air, but, that will do to solve the issue?

thx
  6. X DarthMonkey X

if it's really new, then i don't think so. I try to avoid cards without cooling fans, but the X300 is a low-end card, and many low-ends don't generally need a fan.

Well, if you can, then take it back to the store and get a different model (I prefer nVidia cards, but that's just personal opinion)
  7. powerslave_5th

thx alot, fellas, ill see what i can do
  8. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

For the price of a secondary fan/heatsink for the video card, you could get a whole new one just to let you know.
  9. powerslave_5th

i think is a problem with my chipset intel, i just installed a fan on my x300 and still the same error, altough the card doesnt get hot now, im dessperated, please someone help me!!!
  10. X DarthMonkey X

It could be the card. I know i've got overheating problems with my X1300 (which i'm returning this week to get an nVidia 7600GT).

Try a different card, a different brand, whatever. If you still get the same problem.... well.... let's just blow up that bridge when we come to it.:hotbounce
  11. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,816   +160

Yes,
    try a totally different higher-end video card... The shop you bought your system from will have some cards to choose from I'm sure

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.