X800 or 6800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOB

i noticed there wasn't much discussion going on involving the next generation of videocards. thought i would just stir up some controversy. i already decided on the gt version, and have my reasons for making that particular decision, but, i'm sure there are alot of ati fanboys out there that will look @ the X800 series of cards instead, for their own reasons. so, there you have it. load up your weapons,... and fire away.

No doubt 6800GT is the best, and it supports directx 9C (Vertex shader 3.0 and Pixel shader 3.0) and of course this card is a power hogger too , requires atleast 480wats psu !

on the otherhand x800 series is damn fast too..there is little difference....but my vote is 6800GT

/me holds finger above the "CLOSE" button...

This thread goes overboard, it gets "lost"...;)

Originally posted by Supreet
No doubt 6800GT is the best, and it supports directx 9C (Vertex shader 3.0 and Pixel shader 3.0) and of course this card is a power hogger too , requires atleast 480wats psu !

I think that's only the ultra version, not the GT.

For some reason I like the new Radeon cards better (until SLI is possible with NVIDIA's of course). Take my words as a personal preference and nothing else though as I haven't been able to take a closer on-hands look to the cards yet.

nVidia bringing bac SLI is a great move, think about it if the current gen of cards supported that then you could just buy another 9800 pro and have X800 speed while only spending £150 for an extra card.

Would help giv the cards a bit more shelf life, and therefore the boffins at ati and nvidia could spend longer working in the new chips.

or maybe iit'll just be expensive and not many people will use it, like the voodoo2 SLI.

I think I favour the ati cards right now, sure the 6800 has more features, but by the time the games start using those new swanking PS3.0 instructions to their full, will the 6800 have the power to put them into practice, or will nVidia have a new card in the works by then?

X800 is winner for me so far, if only I could convince the wife!!

The image quality is a lot closer than it has been in the past. If I was buying now I would be considering the 6800GT more than I did when I bought my X800 Pro :D

HardOCP do a good review of a BFG 6800GT card and give good comparitive information between it and the X800Pro.

From HardOCP:

The BFGTech GeForce 6800GT OC is sitting at a very unique spot. Here we have a video card that is close to being equal to a GeForce 6800Ultra. The GPU specifications are exactly the same with the same 16 pipelines feeding the beast and have not been cut down as ATI has done with their lower rated VPUs. Also, all 6800s have full support for Shader Model 3.0 which is currently not being used but will be soon as we have seen in preview releases of FarCry. And those previews have shown to give further frames per second performance increases. Once games are released or patched utilizing Shader Model 3.0 to increase performance, the 6800GT is going to become a HOT item for sure. Currently it is already a preferred purchase for many people over the Radeon X800Pro. The 6800GT is more readily available than a GeForce 6800Ultra.

The BFGTech GeForce 6800GT OC we tested overclocked very well. We were able to not only match 6800Ultra speeds but go beyond them. How is that for getting your money's worth!

After playing through many games on the BFGTech GeForce 6800GT OC we walk away feeling very satisfied in our gaming experience. BFGTech has put together a very appealing package with a single-slot, one power connector card that is able to play all the games at the highest quality settings. Not to mention the untapped performance potential of Shader Model 3.0. Also don’t forget that in a PCI-Express format you will have the added benefit of putting two of these cards together in SLI for a huge performance boost. Currently you will see no real performance difference between AGP and PCI-Express cards as not games currently utilize the widened bus and most likely will not do so till some time in 2006.

they are now on

forceware 62.11.......that review was w/ 60.76. this is another reason the nvidia card, i believe, will excel. the drivers are in the rough so to speak. they're going nowhere but up. 32 bit vs 24 bit/ 2.0 vs 3.0 ....the fact that the cpu is a limiting factor as well, the ultra cranked up another 70 or so frames per game when saddled w/ a fx 53 64 cpu. firingsquad has a nice review outlining the use of 3.0 in far cry as a free enhancement ie: nothing needs to be turned off to reap benefits. i picked up the bfg card, due to it's price at the time 349, and bfg's lifetime warranty, and they overclock the card straight from the factory, even though ultra timings are capable. the difference? 1.6ns ram ultra/2 ns ram gt, and the power requirements of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back