TechSpot

X800 or 6800?

By SOB
Jul 14, 2004
  1. i noticed there wasn't much discussion going on involving the next generation of videocards. thought i would just stir up some controversy. i already decided on the gt version, and have my reasons for making that particular decision, but, i'm sure there are alot of ati fanboys out there that will look @ the X800 series of cards instead, for their own reasons. so, there you have it. load up your weapons,... and fire away.

2. Supreet

Supreet TS Rookie Posts: 16

No doubt 6800GT is the best, and it supports directx 9C (Vertex shader 3.0 and Pixel shader 3.0) and of course this card is a power hogger too , requires atleast 480wats psu !

on the otherhand x800 series is damn fast too..there is little difference....but my vote is 6800GT

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

/me holds finger above the "CLOSE" button...

This thread goes overboard, it gets "lost"...;)

4. smtkr

smtkr TS Rookie Posts: 138

I think that's only the ultra version, not the GT.

5. SOB

SOB Banned Topic Starter Posts: 150

exactly

the gt is a single slot 350w psu required card.

6. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,590   +351

For some reason I like the new Radeon cards better (until SLI is possible with NVIDIA's of course). Take my words as a personal preference and nothing else though as I haven't been able to take a closer on-hands look to the cards yet.

7. CoLD_SToRAGE

CoLD_SToRAGE TS Rookie Posts: 20

nVidia bringing bac SLI is a great move, think about it if the current gen of cards supported that then you could just buy another 9800 pro and have X800 speed while only spending £150 for an extra card.

Would help giv the cards a bit more shelf life, and therefore the boffins at ati and nvidia could spend longer working in the new chips.

or maybe iit'll just be expensive and not many people will use it, like the voodoo2 SLI.

I think I favour the ati cards right now, sure the 6800 has more features, but by the time the games start using those new swanking PS3.0 instructions to their full, will the 6800 have the power to put them into practice, or will nVidia have a new card in the works by then?

X800 is winner for me so far, if only I could convince the wife!!

8. SOB

Alienware's ALX

is a SLI machine. far cry is patched for 3.0 as we speak.

9. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,599   +110

The image quality is a lot closer than it has been in the past. If I was buying now I would be considering the 6800GT more than I did when I bought my X800 Pro :D

HardOCP do a good review of a BFG 6800GT card and give good comparitive information between it and the X800Pro.

10. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

11. SOB

they are now on

forceware 62.11.......that review was w/ 60.76. this is another reason the nvidia card, i believe, will excel. the drivers are in the rough so to speak. they're going nowhere but up. 32 bit vs 24 bit/ 2.0 vs 3.0 ....the fact that the cpu is a limiting factor as well, the ultra cranked up another 70 or so frames per game when saddled w/ a fx 53 64 cpu. firingsquad has a nice review outlining the use of 3.0 in far cry as a free enhancement ie: nothing needs to be turned off to reap benefits. i picked up the bfg card, due to it's price at the time 349, and bfg's lifetime warranty, and they overclock the card straight from the factory, even though ultra timings are capable. the difference? 1.6ns ram ultra/2 ns ram gt, and the power requirements of course.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.