TechSpot

x800 power supply question + stuck molex y cable!

By andi_kam
Jun 27, 2005
  1. Has anyone else here ever had problems pulling out a molex y cable, it seems completely jammed!

Also, I want to connect an x800 pro with a 350w power supply, I currently use two molex y cables one that directs some power to the two hard drives and the other going to the graphics card which is currently a 9800 pro, anyone think I might have a problem with that?

Thanks a lot.
    andikam

2. andi_kam

andi_kam TS Rookie Topic Starter

ah finally got the damn molex y cable out. Anyone any ideas about the power supply yet? Thanks.

3. compguy

compguy TS Rookie Posts: 162

Just to be on the safe side you should go with a least with a 480 p/s. Because if you get a 380 with x800 pro the card would have to run harder beacuse it wont be getting enough :hotouch: power.

good luck :wave: :wave:

sebastian

4. andi_kam

hmmm, i am told that it uses less power than 9800 pro by someone? Thanks for advice tho.

5. compguy

compguy TS Rookie Posts: 162

No problem :wave: :wave:

6. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

I did a little research and came out with this. Clearly it states here that if you managed to get a 9800XT or 9800 Pro to run properly, there should be no reason why you can't get an X800 to. At this point, I can't really say the culprit is the powersupply.

7. andi_kam

Ah thanks a lot m8. That really changes my focus on what to look for. Will look towards either better processor or ram or fiddling more with the settings.

Once again thanks, answered one of the questions that has been bothering me for a while. Much appreciated young&wild.

8. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

I'm not sure... graphics card suddenly drawing a lot of power (going from 2D desktop to 3D gaming) could cause voltage drops with devices in the same wire.

9. kimbo.ati

kimbo.ati TS Rookie Posts: 224

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.