x800xl and cooling

By benjaminha
Oct 13, 2005
  1. Hi Im upgrading my pc with a x800xl an antec 450 psu and a gig of ram, this is going into a generic emachines case which I know has successfully been done before. What I haven't considered is whether I needed to upgrade the cooling system. It has been advised to me that because Im not overclocking this shouldnt be a problem but all the upgrade arrives tomorrow and I wondered if someone could clear this up asap.
    Thanks for any replies and sorry for the urgency
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

are you saying that your will add that VC and PSU to an existing emachines system, or a standard mobo in said case? in any case, you'll need to check that your motherboard has a free PCIe x16 slot. does this case have any other cooling fans in it?
  3. benjaminha

benjaminha TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 31

I have a standard d915 mobo in there which has its own cooling and a free pci x16 slot.A couple of other people have said it should be fine ,do you agree?
  4. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

it should be fine, provided your case temp doesn't get too high.
  5. benjaminha

benjaminha TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 31

Well its all in there now and fingers crossed its beeen working the weekend,the temp is around 50-54 which is apparently safe and thats when Im running something big like bf2 or css.
    Cheers loads for alll your help and advice.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.