X800XT performance problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeox

Hi all, I recently searched this on the net and couldn't find an answer, so I thought it best to ask here:

I'm currently running an ATI X800XT in my system. However with several games, I'm getting very low FPS compared to the benchmarks people made. For example, Need for Speed: Carbon has a minimum spec of 64mb video RAM. I have way above that (256mb) and can't go beyond around 25 FPS! The funny thing is it dosn't even matter about the video settings I've set - high or low - I still get the same results...

Another example is House of the Dead III - which I couldn't get above 40 FPS no matter what. Again, when I decreased the settings, no difference occured, and I was still getting 40 FPS. I had set the frame cap to 60 FPS too.

I know that sometimes the Catalyst settings can interfere with the performance too, So I decided to set all these at minimum. Alas, again, this made no difference in any game I played.

I have several other suspicions as to what's causing it. My processor is an Intel Celeron D running at 3.20 GHZ. However despite its poor power, the LED in the case never even flashes whilst playing games like Carbon, which as far as I can tell means it's having to do nothing - so why would that slow it down?

I don't think it's my RAM, as I have a decent 1GB of it. Besides NFS requires half of that.

Is something up here? Or is my PC getting old (already!) ? I'd really appreciate some assistance here, as my PC dosn't seem to be meeting the experience that similar people are having...

My Specs:

HP Pavilion A1215.uk
200GB SATA HD
1GB system RAM
ATI X800XT (with modded fan)
Intel Celeron D 3.2GHZ processor
Windows XP Home OS

Thanks for any help you guys can give :bounce: .

Probably the X800XT is being bottlenecked by the processor. Celeron's are not very good for gaming.
If you lower video settings, and the frame rate is still the same, that's because the CPU is holding the Radeon back.

Thanks for the info. Do you know what processor I should get that can handle the load at an affordable Price? In a couple of years or so, I plan to build my own rig - so I don't want to spend bucket loads on a mere thrill ride...

Probably a Pentium 4 processor will do the job nicely. What kind of CPU socket do you have?

A Pentium 4 should do fine. Maybe a Core 2 Duo if you can afford it / if your board supports it.

(I have to go now I just realaized that my forehead is bleeding)

Ok thanks for the tips all. I don't actually know what "socket" my processor uses, as I'm new to the processor aspect of things (eek). If someone could tell me a way to check, that'd be great! I'd prefer a way that dosn't involve looking inside the pc though, as I can't actually see the processor without removing the giganic heatsink - which may I add almost cost me my computers life the last time I tried to remove it (somehow?!?!).

Thanks again all.

Thanks for that. The app read that I had a "Socket 775 LGA". Is that enough info to determine the processor my PC requires?

You need to be sure that your motherboard supports Prescott Pentium 4 processors. Or if you can find a Northwood one, it should be 100% compatible.

What is your motherboard's model and make?

Yes that helps. That makes it positive that your board can support Pentium 4s. It might be able to use Pentium Ds, and less likely Core 2 Duos.

What does it say under the tab mainboard?

A Pentium D 805 can be found for around $100 or less. It is a dual core, and should be fine for you.

Under the mainboard tab:

Manufacturer: MSI

Model: Gypsum 3.10

Chipset: Intel i915P/i915G Rev. 0E

Southbridge: Intel 82801FB (ICH6)

Sensor: SMSC 6001

Soz I don't know what parts are relevent so I'll just type it all up. Hope this'll sort it...

With that chipset you only will be able to use a p4 prescott, the p4 660 (3,6ghz) is the fastest u can get i think, but is expensive ($200-300).

I couldn't find too much info about that mobo. Why don't u attach the CPU-Z log file?

But if you have a 915P/915G chipset, it must support a Preshot processor :)

wolfram said:
I couldn't find too much info about that mobo. Why don't u attach the CPU-Z log file?

But if you have a 915P/915G chipset, it must support a Preshot processor :)

I hope this is what you meant by the log file:

Attachments

• cpuz.txt
    45.4 KB · Views: 6
Obviously that board is especially made for HP. But since you have a Celeron D , then it's safe to assume that it will support any P4 Prescott CPU.

There are some "Cedar Mill" CPU's, but maybe your board doesn't support them.

You should stay with the "Prescott" ones :)

Ok, thanks for the advice. Just one last question; Would something like a 2.8GHZ P4 processor give a lower performance rate than my 3.2GHZ CD? - Because if so, I'd best watch out for it. Also, is there anything I may need to tweak before use ie: install firmware/drivers, system bios, other hardware etc?

Again, thank you so much for all your help (all of you) and I will most definately consider a new processor when I get the money :cool: .

A 2.8 Ghz P4 would be better than a 3.2 Ghz Celeron, but a 3.2 Ghz P4 would be much better, plus THIS one has 2MB L2 cache. And it's not that expensive.

Regards :wave:

Yep that processor will be a lot better, please after buy it, come here and let us know if ur fps improve with the new processor.
Good Luck

Wow! That's cheap. Shame I live in UK lol. I'll try looking at it there.

EDIT: I've just searched round. Is this the same one? I can't tell with all the little bits of info.

As Frus said, it's the same one.

Please tell us when you get it, and how it performs :)

Regards :wave:

Well I can't guarantee I'll be getting one yet - long way to go at age 14 (£10 a week) :zzz: . However if I do get one, I'm pretty sure it'll be this one and I will deffinately leave feedback of my experiences with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back