XB1/PS4 native resolution

Native render resolution?

• 720p for most games, below for the rest

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

St1ckM4n

Only a few months away from release and we have been swarmed with all kinds of rough specs. However, there isn't much detail on which resolutions the consoles will render at.

E.g. the current-gen renders are around 560p max (on average), then upscales to 720/1080p. While the PS3 is capable of 1080p rendering, the Xbox360 is limited to 720p I belive, and games are 560 or below.

What are you thoughts? I have severe doubts that the next-gen can render at 1080p natively, with 40fps+.

Native 1080p, medium-high settings, low CPU speed, 40-60FPS - this needs some decent hardware to run. And that's before AA comes into play.

Only a few months away from release and we have been swarmed with all kinds of rough specs. However, there isn't much detail on which resolutions the consoles will render at.

E.g. the current-gen renders are around 560p max (on average), then upscales to 720/1080p. While the PS3 is capable of 1080p rendering, the Xbox360 is limited to 720p I belive, and games are 560 or below.

What are you thoughts? I have severe doubts that the next-gen can render at 1080p natively, with 40fps+.

It is up to the developer. The creators of Killzone are going for 1080P 30FPS while DICE is making BF4 so that it is 720P with 60FPS.

It is up to the developer. The creators of Killzone are going for 1080P 30FPS while DICE is making BF4 so that it is 720P with 60FPS.
Indeed, they need to at least go for 720p support, but they can do it even on that hardware, I mean when you know exactly what your programming on down to a bullet point, you can pull out every inch of power to run it.

Remember, the current Gen systems we have right now are so inferior compared to the current consoles, yet they can do pretty darn well as it is, so I have very limited doubt the Devs are not going to be able to pull out some great FPS at 1080p

Well that's the thing - the minimum spec shouldn't be up to the developer. MS/Sony should have a minimum requirement for games, otherwise we'd be seeing some pretty terrible stuff coming out. They need to protect their brand.

Either way, 720p on BF4? That's terrible, I am very disappointed.

Well that's the thing - the minimum spec shouldn't be up to the developer. MS/Sony should have a minimum requirement for games, otherwise we'd be seeing some pretty terrible stuff coming out. They need to protect their brand.

Either way, 720p on BF4? That's terrible, I am very disappointed.

Lol I would rather play on a computer with a 1366x768 resolution on medium settings than on a PS4 xD.

Indeed, they need to at least go for 720p support, but they can do it even on that hardware, I mean when you know exactly what your programming on down to a bullet point, you can pull out every inch of power to run it.

Remember, the current Gen systems we have right now are so inferior compared to the current consoles, yet they can do pretty darn well as it is, so I have very limited doubt the Devs are not going to be able to pull out some great FPS at 1080p

You are gonna need at least a 660 or 7870 according to Dice so that you can pull out ultra settings.

Heh, which brings up the side-ways question of what kind of overall settings we will be looking at. If it's anything under High with no AA, I'll be mad.

Ouch... Well, a SteamBox isn't off the cards for me, as long as I won't miss out on a ton of console-only games. :(

Expect 720p for a lot of games for the next two-three years, then 1080p from there on, native 720p will be a upgrade from current gen, plus they can turn on a lot of extra eye candy with the new GPUS at 720p so the games will still move forward graphically (not to mention some dx11 in there). As long as major titles are being made for the last generation as well don't expect a lot of 1080p native, all racing games (non true open world like) will be 1080p native because there very simple and light graphically games. BF4 is losing fidelity for FPS a good move imo, it will make the move back and fourth easier for console players who play both COD and BF. Having just messed around in BF3 a little bit with the difference between 560p rendered up at medium with no AA and 720p renderd on a medium high mix with 4xAA the game will be a massive improvement for the consoles, also BF4 will be DX11 on both next gens. Killzone is using the PS4's hardware to the fullest and taking advantage of the extra Unified shaders that it's GPU enjoys. All in all expect the movement to graphically amazing games to be slow, just like it was when the current gen came to market, give it till 2015-2016 and we will start to see games that push the hardware finally as the devs are now experts in coding for it.

But it's not really a new architecture. Both consoles are touted as being extremely dev-friendly.

But it's not really a new architecture. Both consoles are touted as being extremely dev-friendly.
Yes but its still new to the people working on it, when you have been working on the same machine for the past 8 years you tend to get used to one thing. They are moving on to a new system and in time they will learn what the limitations are and how to pull extra power out of it. Its just the cycle of a video game console.

Back