Xbox One gets holiday-inspired price cut, now cheaper than Sony's PS4

Shawn Knight

Staff member
xbox cheaper holidays sony microsoft gaming price cut playstation 4 gaming console xbox one

If you’re in the market for Microsoft’s Xbox One, you’d be best served to wait another week before pulling the trigger. That’s because Microsoft is knocking $50 off the price of its latest console starting November 2 – no strings attached.

The deal is applicable not only to standalone consoles but those bundled with games. For instance, you can pick up the Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Bundle or the Xbox One Special Edition Sunset Overdrive Bundle (white console) for just $349 – a full $50 cheaper than Sony’s popular PlayStation 4.

Perhaps the best deal of all, however, is the Xbox One Limited Edition Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Bundle. It comes with a custom-designed console and controller, a copy of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition and a 1TB hard drive (up from 500GB) for $449.

The $50 savings can be used to buy another game, an extra controller or put towards the purchase of a different gift for someone else.

There are a few restrictions to take note of, however. For starters, the offer is only valid in the US (UK, Canada and other areas aren’t covered as of writing). The promotion ends on January 3, 2015 although I suspect it could turn into a permanent price cut after the holidays.

Are you planning to pick up a next generation console for yourself or a loved one this holiday season? Given the price cuts (perhaps Sony will be inclined to match or beat Microsoft’s offer) and catalog of games now available for both systems, there’s never been a better time to pull the trigger.

Permalink to story.

I'd pay good money to be audience to their division meetings. Two price drops in one year signals increasingly poor sales. This is a good deal for consumers, but somebody is feeling the heat at Microsoft.

The reason I don't even consider getting a console is that the game prices are outrageous. The hardware prices are fine. And of course that most of the games are also released for PC.

Last edited:
Waiting on Halo bundle. If not released. Wont buy one. that simple...

Come on Sony, you got to retain your lead.

MS and Sony are on a 10-year plan. This Year 1 stuff is inconsequential. We'll see what they are really packing in 2016-17, once devs start focusing on next-gen and the libraries have started to establish themselves.

The reason I don't even consider getting a console is that the game prices are outrageous. The hardware prices are fine. And of course that most of the games are also released for PC.

That's how console developers have made money since the PS2/Xbox. They take the hit on the consoles and make the money back through games.

It's also why both Sony and MS are so adamant on the destruction of selling used games to places like Gamestop. It's money out of their pockets.

It's still $300 too much for archaic PC hardware as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't pique my interest at all. Also the prices for console games is nothing short of an abomination and once you factor in the sucker punch DLC's if you're gullible enough...

MS and Sony are on a 10-year plan. This Year 1 stuff is inconsequential. We'll see what they are really packing in 2016-17, once devs start focusing on next-gen and the libraries have started to establish themselves.

I hope they are not a 10-year plan. Can you imagine what we PC gamers will face in terms of graphics stagnation and poor console ports if PS4 lasts 10 years until PS5?

I looked at the every lifespan of Nintendo, Sony and Xbox consoles relative to their predecessors, averaged them out and if this trend continues I get:

Wii 3 ~ April 19, 2018
XB2 ~ Nov 26, 2019
PS5 ~ Dec 8, 2019

Conservatively even if we take the last console's lifespan from each platform as the indication of the longest hardware generation and assume PS4/XB1 will last as long as PS3/360 before replacement, we get:

Wii 3 ~ Nov 18, 2018
XB2 ~ Nov 22, 2021
PS5 ~ Nov 13, 2020

Your 10-year-plan is probably an estimate on how long the platform will be supported not how long it will be before PS5 and XB2 launch.

I think Sony will respond with a game bundle or a small price drop / controller bundle or similar. At the same time they are outselling XB1 worldwide by large numbers and there is less pressure on them. I still feel neither PS4 nor XB1 are worth buying yet until they get more exclusives to differentiate them from PC gaming.

I hope they are not a 10-year plan. Can you imagine what we PC gamers will face in terms of graphics stagnation and poor console ports if PS4 lasts 10 years until PS5?

I couldn't care less about graphics, either on consoles or PC. The way I see it, graphics have already risen to a level of diminishing returns. What's important to me are significant innovations in gameplay and AI, which have been non-existent for several years now. Where the consoles will hold back PC in this regard is with their processing power. All kinds of visual trickery can be applied to graphics, but devs can't fake intelligence to make up for inadequate horsepower.

Back