Xbox One leading best seller chart at Amazon after Microsoft U-turn

David Tom

xbox amazon microsoft u-turn sony microsoft gaming ps4 playstation 4 xbox one

Gaming enthusiasts were outraged by the strict limitations that Microsoft planned to enforce on the Xbox One. Amid a fury of negative feedback, the tech giant did a complete 180 – they announced yesterday that users will no longer have to establish an online connection every 24 hours to play games, and that trading disks with friends will be as hassle free as ever.

Perhaps the Microsoft retreat wasn’t sparked by the backlash of unhappy customers, but rather the fear of having no customers at all. Last week, Amazon ran a poll on their Facebook page which pitted the Xbox One against the PlayStation 4, and not surprisingly, the Sony console won in a landslide.

The poll was eventually taken down by Amazon, but at last glance, the final tally was 38,984 for the PlayStation 4 and 2,162 for the Xbox One. Gamers who visited Amazon’s Best Sellers list could draw a similar conclusion, seeing as the Sony system had solidified its position in first place. 

Following the Microsoft retreat, a huge debate ensued. Some users insisted that Microsoft’s reversal was too little too late, while others hopped right back on the Xbox One bandwagon. As a result, it became extremely difficult to assess whether Microsoft’s attempt at damage control was a success or a failure.

Currently, according to the Amazon Best Sellers list, the Xbox One has now surged into first place. If you look closely, you’ll see that the Microsoft console atop the leaderboards is the “Day One Edition”; a version that had already sold out for PlayStation 4 fanatics. Also worth noting is the fact that Sony's console has four different listings in the top ten -- the standard edition plus three bundles -- while the Xbox One has a single one.

That said, a similar response from game enthusiasts has been seen across Europe. Amazon UK shows that both consoles are pretty much even, with the Xbox One holding a slight 2.3% advantage in sales.

Regardless of who wins this horse race, the excitement surrounding the next-generation consoles is unbelievable, and probably pleases both Sony and Microsoft. After all, any publicity is good publicity.

Ketu Patel, head of video games at Amazon UK, added, “It will be fascinating to see how the battle between the two console giants develops over the coming months – the fight for who’s going to be the must-have Christmas present is only just beginning."

Permalink to story.

I don't get it. Somebody is either lying or there were hordes of Xbox fans waiting on the sideline. Either way I am still PC gaming with dark shades glasses.

I like this. Look at the games, hardware and policies between MS and Sony now and they are nearly a mirror image.

I see 2 determining factors as this goes on. Exclusive games to each console and price.

I am primarily a PC gamer but I will buy one console from this upcoming generation.

Dave

I'm glad that MS finally woke up and listened. However, it still doesn't change the fact that they tried to implement those ridiculous policies in the first place. I will still get a PS4 first and will wait a year or so before deciding whether to break down and get an Xbox One 80.

Until this fall, I will enjoy my PC, PS3 and 360.

MS is just too wishy-washy for me this Gen. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their stance on DRM and internet connectivity after it's been released.

A lot of people are expressing similar concerns. Taking away *all* consumer freedom in one fell swoop doesn't go over well, so Microsoft may emulate the government and start taking it away one update at a time. Creeping dictatorship is always more successful.

So easy for microsoft, they dont deserve to be forgiven or the ppl to forget this situation.....for me that increaseon sale are the Sheeps of videogame (most USA xbox fan base gamers)those that only play by playing any game including call of duty and bad franchise like GTA or Gears of war. (I have played those games and ps3 games and they are really bad)

I find these articles missleading when people never actually source the page.
http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=sv_vg_11

Yes Xbox One80 is currently at #1 on the list but consider this. There is only ONE Xbox One80 edition to pre-order.

The original PS4 Launch Edition is still sold out AND the standard edition release is at #3 (preceeded only by the Last of Us PS3 game) AND there are 3 PS4 bundles and the PS4 controller and the Playstation 20$ card code in the top 10.

So I would say that there is still an overwhelming support for the PS4 still based on the bestselling list.

Wow. Pretty tough on MS for what they WAS going to do.

I can only imagine how pissed you all must still be at Sony for blatent lies about the power of the PS2, rootkits, DRE's in 2 sucsessive generations (PS1 and 2), a massive security breach, and for not mentioning that there will be a charge for online play next gen.

Dave

Even though I didn't want to give up my achievement points, MS's used game policy was too restrictive and basically a deal breaker... and lets face it the PS4 does look pretty sweet. But right now I'm back on the Xbox bandwagon,,, trying to be loyal!

Freaking *****ic console users always crying and bitching over stupid crap. Both companies are going to win. So many people forget that Sony was once in the same spot years ago over the PS2 and PS3. Those mess ups are what allowed MS to create the Xbox in the first place. So MS screwed up, they aren't the first company and won't be the last. People just want MS to fail, mainly for no good reason. I bet most don't even own a MS device/product.
People may be happy MS changed their stance and now according to Amazon and other stores, Xbox One is back on track to make the same money as Sony. Lets not forget though, MS console users will not get certain features anymore which some people did want but because they bitched, things were changed. Only time will tell if it was for the better. Also don't forget Sony online is NOT free. There is a fee, maybe small but you aren't going online playing your games for free, better get mom or dads credit card handy. We all know that's who is paying for it in the end.

Freaking *****ic console users always crying and bitching over stupid crap. Both companies are going to win. So many people forget that Sony was once in the same spot years ago over the PS2 and PS3. Those mess ups are what allowed MS to create the Xbox in the first place. So MS screwed up, they aren't the first company and won't be the last. People just want MS to fail, mainly for no good reason. I bet most don't even own a MS device/product.
People may be happy MS changed their stance and now according to Amazon and other stores, Xbox One is back on track to make the same money as Sony. Lets not forget though, MS console users will not get certain features anymore which some people did want but because they bitched, things were changed. Only time will tell if it was for the better. Also don't forget Sony online is NOT free. There is a fee, maybe small but you aren't going online playing your games for free, better get mom or dads credit card handy. We all know that's who is paying for it in the end.
PC users tend to cry and ***** about consoles more than console users to begin with

Microsoft will switch back to the always online connection and no used games in a few months, after people by the Xbox One. Just wait and see.

Gaming enthusiasts, what a joke, they aren't gamers. They are just console users, get the name correct. Real gamers will never ever use a console. Consoler users are just that, they use a console. A gamer uses and only uses a PC. No console user will ever beat a PC gamer. Why? CAUSE PC USERS ARE THE ONLY REAL GAMERS. They dont need aim assist, lag compensation or any other crap.

Microsoft will switch back to the always online connection and no used games in a few months, after people by the Xbox One. Just wait and see.

Right. Because a few months of sales will be more than enough to finance the entire life span of its upcoming console.

Good God.

Dave

No they won't. Consoles are sold at a price that's barely enough to make a profit, if at all. Does it really make sense that a new console costs less than your smartphone, which we know from websites only costs around $200 in parts?

MS and Sony will both make the majority of their money on games, and that means they'll need to sell the most consoles possible. They won't go doing something to screw that up. If history is any lesson, the XB1 and PS4 will be the latest and greatest until around 2018 or 2019. They'll have a few variations and models, and maybe fix a RROD issue or two, but that's it. Either way, they're not going to want to mess with the possibility of getting new customers who will buy multiple games.

PC users cry more than console users? wtf planet you live on? PC users voice their opinons when they get lied to like Activision did with their CoD wm2 and the rest after that. Saying PC users would get debticated servers when all was given was better graphics, mouse and keyboard support. Last I checked those were by default/standard to even play any game on pc so they never gave PC users anything. Just a console port is all PC gets nowadays cause crap consoles can't and won't ever do what a PC can.
PC users also voice an opinon when a game company has months if not years to test a game, then release it only to find out half the peopel can't play cause it needs a patch. In some cases, it takes months before the game to work properly. CoD is famous for that. Most of those problems nowadays come because PC users get a crap console port instead of a actual PC game. People just don't want to spend the money on a PC and take the time to understand it. They rather be stupid and by a console cause its less money and don't want to use their brain, not cause its better.

Why do people keep bringing up the Red Ring of Death and then mention the Xbox One? There has been no confirmation of that even being a problem. I've personally had 2 xboxs and 2 360s, none of them ever had a issue. Maybe because I didn't abuse my consoles like so many did. Lets play for 4-6 hours, leave the game on or paused for 24 hrs or leave the discs in. All of which were reported to cause problems. Now, yes there will be times that some people will get a issue or a bad console. That happens. Sony is famous for the lens going bad. Could play a game but not a dvd or vice versa. Not to mention Sony couldn't stop a hacker even if that person was right in front of them using a computer.

No they won't. Consoles are sold at a price that's barely enough to make a profit, if at all. Does it really make sense that a new console costs less than your smartphone, which we know from websites only costs around $200 in parts?
I think phones cost a bit more, because they are upgraded more frequently. The upgrades in consoles don't seem near as radical or as tedious from the small form factor point of view.

I can't even start to imagine the cost of changing assembly lines every year (if not more frequently) to accommodate for changes in design. It would be a bit like adding moving fees to the cost of rent every 6 months.

This is the key point: "Also worth noting is the fact that Sony's console has four different listings in the top ten -- the standard edition plus three bundles -- while the Xbox One has a single one."

Back